Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning ABolt 7mm WSM..what ammo? >

Browning ABolt 7mm WSM..what ammo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning ABolt 7mm WSM..what ammo?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Browning ABolt 7mm WSM..what ammo?

I have had this rifle for 8 years or so and have shot maybe a dozen deer with 140gr Winchester Silvertip Ballistics with no real issue.

I started using the Silvertip Ballistics in my .30-06 (150gr) and ALWAYS dropped that deer in its place...the 7WSM usually finds the dead deer 10-30 yards from the point of impact.

I know shot placement was pretty similar among all of the deer taken with the 2 calibers. My assumption is that the 7wsm is just punching through and through before all of that energy is expended--although the .30-06 was always a through and through as well.

ANYWAY..that is just the backstory as to why I chose the Silvertips for the 7WSM..because I grew up shooting them in my -06.

Despite killing deer, I cannot get the gun to group tighter than 2 inches at 100yds..just can't do it. I am going elk hunting this fall and plains game in South Africa in 2 years, so I decided if ever a time for bullet change it is now, so that I can try to kill a 1/2 dozen more animals in the mean time to see how the bullet performs. I am looking at the 160gr Winchester XP3..but have heard inconsistent field reports from this ultra premium round.

Other 7mm WSM shooters....what bullet/weights give you the best grouping and performance in the field?

Sorry for the long story to get to the question..but I appreciate hearing folks' opinions!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a 7WSM but I do shoot its big brother. Try out the Nosler AccuBonds in it. They shoot really good out of my Browning A-Bolt 7mm. You might also want to check out the Barnes TSXs. Since your talking elk, the Nosler Partition also comes to mind.

I have a buddy that shoots the XP3s out of his 300WSM and he has nothing good to say about them.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the Barnes TSX or TTSX.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

don't mean to sound like a newbie...but who all commercially loads the TSX? I see Federal does..

Like I stated before, I've always been loyal to Winchester..for no other reason than the silvertips look "cool" and always performed well..I just never compared anything before.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
+1 on the Barnes TSX or TTSX.

Same here. +1 for Barnes.

Federal and Cor-Bon I believe are the two most common makers of Factory TSX, TTSX loads.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your finding silvertips pencil through going to a barnes, NP, accubond or any other bonded/premium bullet for deer might not solve your concerns. Though nothing wrong with a 30 or under yard scamper after the shot! When your talking larger then deer such as elk I agree 100% with such a notion to try out these prem bullets.

In terms of accuracy obviously you need to veer from what you've always used to set a baseline. Only way is deciede on a bullet for usage and shoot it to compare with your current load.