Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking to buy a new rifle, Need Help! >

Looking to buy a new rifle, Need Help!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking to buy a new rifle, Need Help!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default Looking to buy a new rifle, Need Help!

Hey guys!

So, I've been looking at buying a new rifle, and just to get the sacrilege out of the way, I’m looking at getting a semi-auto one. I did a search and went back to 2008 and didn’t see a similar thread so I figured I’d start a new one.

I’m looking for something in .308, mainly just because it’s a solid general-purpose caliber, I’m not tied to that though. Basically I’d just like to avoid the more odd-ball stuff.

Also, I’d love to go synthetic stock, ideally synthetic/stainless. I did some browsing and it looks like the BAR is pretty well received here, but there is a lot of talk about ones made in Belgium. I assume that’s some sort of older variety no longer made? If so, I’m not a very good gun buyer and am looking for something I can buy new in a store.

Oh, and to cap off this post that surely tags me as a total newbie (no argument there), I also haven’t a clue about optics, which I didn’t do a search about, but would love some recommendations.
My budget is anything within reason, I’m thinking like $2000 for everything, does that sound about right?

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Browning BAR in .308, does anyone else make a semi-auto rifle??
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always thought that my first "new" high powered scoped rifle would be a Browning Bar in .300 Win Mag with Boss.

I still don't own either.

Good luck with your decision !
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are very few manufacturers that produce a semi auto in a hunting configuration stock. Most semi's are based on the black rifle with the exception of Springfield's M1-A1. Check out the Remington 750. Synthetic stock in 308 with detachable magazine and very accurate. If you are considering hunting in other states you may want to check on their hunting laws. Many states do not permit the use of semi's for hunting.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check out the Remington R-25.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mantra002
Hey guys!

So, I've been looking at buying a new rifle, and just to get the sacrilege out of the way, I’m looking at getting a semi-auto one. I did a search and went back to 2008 and didn’t see a similar thread so I figured I’d start a new one.

I’m looking for something in .308, mainly just because it’s a solid general-purpose caliber, I’m not tied to that though. Basically I’d just like to avoid the more odd-ball stuff.

Also, I’d love to go synthetic stock, ideally synthetic/stainless. I did some browsing and it looks like the BAR is pretty well received here, but there is a lot of talk about ones made in Belgium. I assume that’s some sort of older variety no longer made? If so, I’m not a very good gun buyer and am looking for something I can buy new in a store.

Oh, and to cap off this post that surely tags me as a total newbie (no argument there), I also haven’t a clue about optics, which I didn’t do a search about, but would love some recommendations.
My budget is anything within reason, I’m thinking like $2000 for everything, does that sound about right?

Thank you for your help!
Remington has a semi auto hunting rifle (I think the Model 750) that can be had with either a wood or synthetic stock. I'm sure it's a good gun and should leave you with some extra money for a better scope. I have a 3x9x40 Nikon Pro Staff scope that is a pretty good scope for me for the money, but hard core guys are spending more to get a Swarovski, which going by the word on the street is top of the line although I couldn't tell you because I don't have one. The only criticism that I got about my scope was not about being a lesser priced Nikon, but that it was a 3x9x40 rather than 3x9x50 which supposedly would give you an advantage during low light situations. Others say the 3x9x40 is fine during all legal deer season daylight hours, but that's just something that was thrown at me. As far as your caliber pick; I think you can't go wrong with the .308. I like 30.06 in my bolt, but in you case the 308 might have some advantage in the semi auto action and cycling with minimal terminal performance (ballistic) difference, which shouldn't make any significant difference for you during a hunt. Good luck! you should be able to get a very decent gun and scope for that money I think. You might not impress any Weatherby toting millionaires on a Safari, but it should buy you something that will do just as good.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Consider the AR platform! The new generation "dual purpose" guns.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like the Browning BAR's are about the best out there for a semi auto rifle. The Benelli R1 is another good option. I'd stay away from the 740's and 742's from Remington. They tend to wear out quickly and start jamming constantly. The 7400's and 750's don't have this issue to my knowledge, but are no where near as nice as the BARs. That being said I have mixed feelings on the BAR's. Imo they are a great hunting rifle out to about 100-250 yards. However, the one I've had was not at all accurate. It shot 3-8" groups with most ammo at 100 yards. 3" groups or so with cheap Federal Power Shok ammo and I finally found that it liked Federal Fusions and it shot 1.5"-2" groups with those. The rest I tried it shot 3-8" groups with depending on the ammo. So 1.5"-2" groups to me at 100 yards is perfectly fine for a deer rifle, however this is not a sub moa gun. So if you want something super accurate I'd look for something else. I've read some reports of guys claiming theirs shoot sub moa groups, but more often than not I hear about 2-3" groups. Other than the accuracy issue though I think this is one of the best guys out there. For hunting short ranges like I said I think it's great. However, if you want it for target shooting or a long range shooting rifle this isn't the right choice.

That being said, in general the BAR's also seem to be more accurate than the Remington's. I'm not sure about the Benelli though as I've never shot one or seen anyone who has shot one.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

my BAR .270 has shot about 1/2moa....

I think that would be my only choice in a semi auto hunting rifle, aside from an AR15 in a .223....for coyotes etc..

or that benelli maybe, but its not too pretty IMO.

So the BAR, though I'd probably just get a nice boltaction
Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington 742 that was my dad's. I won't sell the rifle because of its sentimental value but I don't hunt with it either. It was never one that was plagued with the jamming but it was well taken care of. It shoots 2-2.5" groups with 150 grain Federal Power Shoks.

Having said that, I would not get the BAR either....especially if this was going to be my only hunting rifle. Two or three seasons ago I had a friend that lost two weeks of deer hunting due to his BAR being at the gunsmith awaiting parts. Can't recall what the part was but it was a part he normally carried....however this particular year he had fixed a lot of these problems and had ran out of these parts.

$2000 will buy you a very capable bolt action and optics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.