Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Accutrigger or better scope? >

Accutrigger or better scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accutrigger or better scope?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
o_O
Spike

Local smith charges $45/hour so about the same again for the lapping I would imagine, that's what I'd estimate the $100 at. If it's OK out of the box that kind of falls into luxury spending. I'm not looking to win the Olympics, yet. I'm not flush with cash this year and plough any spending I can't fully justify into the CC hole I hope to soon be out of. Next year will hopefully be a different story.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going to keep looking to see If I can get one for around $300 without a scope and see if I can get a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 40/50 with the BDC reticule. I might be able to find one for sub $200, which just squeezes into my budget and is still an accurate rifle and decent scope. I know rings, case and sling will push me over $500 but that's what a budget is for... to control spending not restrict it ... right? .[/QUOTE]

The Nikon Prostaff is a great choice. Another one to look into is the new Redfield scopes, they're made by leupold.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hold off on the lapping. Shoot the rifle for a while and see how satisfied you are with it before spending extra cash. There is not that much to gain from lapping a factory barrel except that it MAY improve accuracy a tiny amount, and it will make the barrel easier to clean.
Good choice for your first centerfire rifle. Spend the rest of the budget on a scope and ammo, and sometime in the future look into a trigger job. Good hunting!

Last edited by Big Uncle; 08-06-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
o_O
Spike

The lapping/trigger job does eat too much budget right now, but before this thread I'd not even heard of it before so I appreciate being told about it. My plan is to shoot it first, then see.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know you already bought a rifle, and I think you made a great choice. Let us know how you like it. IMO The Marlin's and the Savage package at Walmart are two of the best deals going.

However, for others pondering this, I thought I'd point it off. Most Walmarts sell Savage Model 10's or 110's depending on if you want the long or short action one for right at $400. This has the accu trigger, a Simmons scope, and a sling. It's not a great scope, but a great rifle, with a scope that should last until you can upgrade. The accu trigger imo is well worth it. This package is also often not much more than the Stevens 200's without a scope or accu trigger.

As for scopes for your rifle, I'd look at the Burris Fullfield II or the Vortex Diamondback. The Pentax Pioneer is also supposed to be a rebadged Burris FFII and you can get for a great price from BestBuy.com. There is a great writeup on OpticsTalk.com in the members test and review section about Inexpensive scopes. Out of the ones tested the Nikon Pro Staff came in last with the Redfield in second to last. It's not that the Pro Staff is a bad scope, because it's not. However, you can get the FFII or the Diamondback for not much more and they are a lot better scopes.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by o_O
Just won an auction on GunBroker.com for a new Marlin XL7, no scope, for $290! That's cheaper than some of the used prices. It's from the auction account of Buds Gun Shop and I bought one of my 9mms from them (also through GunBroker). A+ retailer.

I just kept seeing similar posts to Sheridan's, the gun will be more accurate than I am! That leaves $200 for the scope, enough for something decent.

I have a few more questions now, but I'll start another thread.

Thanks for the help.
My roommate has that rifle and is looking forward to using it this year.