Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bear Back Up Revolver? >

Bear Back Up Revolver?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Bear Sidearm?
.44 Mag
24.24%
.454 Casull
24.24%
.480 Ruger
6.06%
.500 S&W
27.27%
Other, must list.
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Bear Back Up Revolver?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bear Back Up Revolver?

For Griz and Brownies, what's your choice?

Is it true that in your standard package, the .454casull will kick harder than a .500s&w?

Make a revolver chambered in .44mag suggestion if you have one...

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-26-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It ain't likely that I will be going into places with the big bears anytime soon.I gave the nod to the 500.But I think it should have a really thin barrell so the bear can pick his teeth............LOL. I've always heard if one was on you close enough to have to use a side arm you were history anyway.But one may get lucky.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Side note: recent article in American Hunter I just read about a guy and his girlfriend hiking in Denali in Alaska. He had taken his .45 for protection, and ended up shooting a charging bear 9 times (and killed it). Who would have thunk it?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No griz around here, but lots of black bears. I carry bear spray but I doubt Ill ever get to use it, since whenever I run into a bear, all I see is their ass as theyre runnning away.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter what caliber is chosen it is a good idea to file down the front post or blade normally used for aiming. File it down so it is completely gone.

That way it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the handgun up your kiester.

But, if I really considered something in a sidearm to protect me from bears I'd go with the 500.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

On my side of the Mississippi (which is the east) I'll be fine with a 357 mag. In areas with bigger bears I'd bump it up to a 44 mag with a 6" barrel because you get more energy, less kick, and less noise. I'm sure you might say who cares how loud it is if a bear is charging and that is true but why not lessen the noise while bumping up the energy. I'm sure you can find a place to wear a 6" gun. Most people would lack the proficiency to handle a very large (44 or bigger)caliber with a short barrel anyway.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
No matter what caliber is chosen it is a good idea to file down the front post or blade normally used for aiming. File it down so it is completely gone.

That way it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the handgun up your kiester.
Man....I agree with this completely.....a back up revolver is extra weight you don't need with you.....

If I was hunting Griz or other dangerous game, I'd have a guide....he's my back up and maybe he has something really big! The idea of a handgun for backup is pure hogwash....forget it!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

.50 bmg
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bet Fred Eichler and his party were glad they had a hand gun with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBK8mRo96Ns
Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Man....I agree with this completely.....a back up revolver is extra weight you don't need with you.....

If I was hunting Griz or other dangerous game, I'd have a guide....he's my back up and maybe he has something really big! The idea of a handgun for backup is pure hogwash....forget it!
That's pretty funny, but the reality of it is that if you deliver enough energy to the vitals, the bear will be incapacitated. I'm not saying that it's easy, but not having a large caliber firearm that you can handle proficiently to defend yourself in a situation where bear attacks are a concern is suicide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.