Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
One rifle???? >

One rifle????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One rifle????

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

The only problem I see with your heavy barrel 308 isnt caliber. The heavy barrel is exactly that after a week of elk hunting, HEAVY. When I am going from 3500 to 10000 feet in a day chasing elk I dont want a 10+ pound rifle. Ive done it with my remington sendero and it starts to take a toll on you early in the season.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could only have one rifle then that would mean that I did not have much money-so whatever I chose, I would have to be able to shoot it on the cheap.

So I think I would probably choose a single shot like the High Wall or the Ruger #1. And the cartridge would either be 30-40 Krag or 358 Winchester. If I did alot of elk hunting it would be the 358. If I only did a little elk hunting then it would be the 30-40 Krag.

The reason for my choice is simple. They would be very inexpensive rifles too shoot. For example the 30-40 Krag is a fantastic cast bullet cartridge because of the long neck. It is a better cast bullet cartridge than the 30-06, and velocities will be the same in a cast bullet. And since I did not have any money I would definitely be casting my own bullets. Also the 30-40 Krag brass is rimmed and is fairly hefty. So I would get long case live with cast bullets in the 30-40.

Remember now we are talking utilitarian rifles because we cannot afford a second rifle. And we have to keep it simple.

The 358 would be my choice if I elk hunted alot because of the larger cast bullets, and brass would be cheap. So that would be my other choice. Tom.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Need Recoil, yeah, carrying a heavy barrel rifle around isn't for everyone, but for me, it's worth the extra weight. I have double shouldered slings for long hauling (muzzle down) which helps ease the weight on my shoulder, and my elk pack tips over 35lbs most the time (unless I'm horseback or on a quad of course-then it's more), so I'd rather give up 2lbs of gear than 2lbs of rifle.

But, some guys think they're too heavy, which is why I offered the standard rifle .270 option in my post as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Spike

You guys in the states are pretty one eyed when it comes to the 3006, i cant say anything against the 06 because it has certanly proven its worth over the years on all sorts of game. But there are a few other calibers which will also do the trick, the 308 or 7mm08, 270 or if you like older calibers we have a bit of a love affair in New Zealand with the 303 although not as much used as it was in the past