Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how to deal with eye dominancy issues >

how to deal with eye dominancy issues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to deal with eye dominancy issues

Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how to deal with eye dominancy issues

I am right handed, I shoot bows, rifles, muzzleloaders and pistols right handed. I am 99% sure I am left eye dominant. I have been ok with the rifles with scopes and can adjust for it with my bow sights. I have had alot of trouble with my pistol(glock21) and shooting. I seem to be shooting high left with the glock with my right eye if I shoot with my left eye I seem to be dead on. Is there any way to retrain my self to be right eye dominant or do I have to deal with it? Can I shoot with my eyes open or is that crazy?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot with both eyes open.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are left eye dominant, the only way you'll be able to shoot easily with both eyes open, is to aim with your left eye. You can't re-assign eye dominance. Try switching to shooting left handed. You may find it easier than you think.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Shoot with both eyes open.

Aim with your dominant eye then open the other to get the same site picture untill you get used to it then just shoot both eyes open.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I am 99% sure I am left eye dominant.
You should be 100% sure. Do you know how to test for this?

TT
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

Put a piece of matte scotch tape on the center of the left lens of your shooting glasses, then shoot both eyes open.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes i did the test and it shows me left eye dom. the tape would work if I wore glasses guess it might be a good idea for safety.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both eyes open, adjust crosshairs to POI on bullseye.................Done !
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Yes i did the test and it shows me left eye dom. the tape would work if I wore glasses guess it might be a good idea for safety.
You're only issued two
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can change eye dominance by hurting your dominant eye. I was right eye dominant and had a terrific wreck in a stock car and the impact stretched the optic nerve in my right eye. For years I had a black hole in the center of my right eye picture. I don't know exactly when it happened but sometime over the last ten years, my left eye become dominant. I now shoot pistols with my left eye but still use my right eye for rifles. I keep saying I'm going to change to left hand guns, but, I've not done it yet. My night vision in my right eye is terrible but it only seems to effect my bow shooting in low light. My next bow, I'm going left handed.
I don't recommend doing what I did to change dominance. I also received a very bad concussion and had some damage to the brain stem. Took me awhile to learn to talk right again and that's still on going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.