HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   how to deal with eye dominancy issues (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/326135-how-deal-eye-dominancy-issues.html)

bigtim6656 07-18-2010 07:41 PM

how to deal with eye dominancy issues

I am right handed, I shoot bows, rifles, muzzleloaders and pistols right handed. I am 99% sure I am left eye dominant. I have been ok with the rifles with scopes and can adjust for it with my bow sights. I have had alot of trouble with my pistol(glock21) and shooting. I seem to be shooting high left with the glock with my right eye if I shoot with my left eye I seem to be dead on. Is there any way to retrain my self to be right eye dominant or do I have to deal with it? Can I shoot with my eyes open or is that crazy?

bigbulls 07-18-2010 08:21 PM

Shoot with both eyes open.

Wingbone 07-19-2010 02:18 AM

If you are left eye dominant, the only way you'll be able to shoot easily with both eyes open, is to aim with your left eye. You can't re-assign eye dominance. Try switching to shooting left handed. You may find it easier than you think.

Swampdog 07-19-2010 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3649270)
Shoot with both eyes open.

Aim with your dominant eye then open the other to get the same site picture untill you get used to it then just shoot both eyes open.

statjunk 07-19-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigtim6656 (Post 3649244)
I am 99% sure I am left eye dominant.

You should be 100% sure. Do you know how to test for this?

TT

Risasi 07-19-2010 08:47 AM

Put a piece of matte scotch tape on the center of the left lens of your shooting glasses, then shoot both eyes open.

bigtim6656 07-19-2010 10:59 AM

Yes i did the test and it shows me left eye dom. the tape would work if I wore glasses guess it might be a good idea for safety.

Sheridan 07-19-2010 11:56 AM

Both eyes open, adjust crosshairs to POI on bullseye.................Done !

Risasi 07-19-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigtim6656 (Post 3649548)
Yes i did the test and it shows me left eye dom. the tape would work if I wore glasses guess it might be a good idea for safety.

You're only issued two;)

rockytop 07-21-2010 09:30 AM

You can change eye dominance by hurting your dominant eye. I was right eye dominant and had a terrific wreck in a stock car and the impact stretched the optic nerve in my right eye. For years I had a black hole in the center of my right eye picture. I don't know exactly when it happened but sometime over the last ten years, my left eye become dominant. I now shoot pistols with my left eye but still use my right eye for rifles. I keep saying I'm going to change to left hand guns, but, I've not done it yet. My night vision in my right eye is terrible but it only seems to effect my bow shooting in low light. My next bow, I'm going left handed.
I don't recommend doing what I did to change dominance. I also received a very bad concussion and had some damage to the brain stem. Took me awhile to learn to talk right again and that's still on going.