Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Slug gun quandry >

Slug gun quandry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug gun quandry

Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Spike

Default Slug gun quandry

So I went out to the range today to sight in my new rifled slug barrel and scope on an 870 express, and after shooting two types of Remingtons, Winchester, and Hornadys, I'm still not able to get the accurate groupings at 50 yards (the max distance for my area). The Remingtons both did well at first, but then got a couple fliers from each type, the Winchesters gave me at best a 6" grouping, and the Hornadys also gave me a good groupings at first, but had a couple fliers as well. So, after spending over a 100 bucks on ammo, and with a very bruised shoulder, I'm a little fumed. A friend suggested trying rifled slugs in my rifled barrel (he does with his), as they're much cheaper, and according to him, more accurate. Any suggestions, or should I just buy a rifle like I first thought?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by tganz
So I went out to the range today to sight in my new rifled slug barrel and scope on an 870 express, and after shooting two types of Remingtons, Winchester, and Hornadys, I'm still not able to get the accurate groupings at 50 yards (the max distance for my area). The Remingtons both did well at first, but then got a couple fliers from each type, the Winchesters gave me at best a 6" grouping, and the Hornadys also gave me a good groupings at first, but had a couple fliers as well. So, after spending over a 100 bucks on ammo, and with a very bruised shoulder, I'm a little fumed. A friend suggested trying rifled slugs in my rifled barrel (he does with his), as they're much cheaper, and according to him, more accurate. Any suggestions, or should I just buy a rifle like I first thought?
My 870's always liked coppersolids 2.75" and lightfields. Hated anything 3" or the newer lighter slugs.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

a few common slug gun mistakes I see at the range.

-trying to sight in or get groups w/out a rear rest
-resting the the forend(pump) on the bag(not a stable platform) rest on the magazine tube/receiver instead
- holding the gun too loosely ,pull the buttstock back tight to your shoulder.
-using cheap scopes and cheaper rings and mounts, they just dont hold up against 12ga recoil.

I would agree on lightfields too they work well in almost all guns, brenekee KO sabots aswell. rifled slugs in a rifled barrel arent a great idea iMO due to leading in the barrel. theyre designed for smoothys
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off since you have a rifle barrel stick with sabot slugs for the best performance.

You never stated what gauge your shooting nor the type of sabot slugs (many types within each ammo maker), what length slugs, weight, etc.

Did you have the scope bored sighted? Make sure you check the scope mounts, they could become loose. Also, I see this often that the stock of the gun maybe to big for the shooter, this in turn will hamper the shooter from getting a proper sight picture, in turn causing bad shooting. I cut my stocks on all my firearms somewhat more then I need to make up the difference for bulky clothing during the gun season here in New Jersey.

Once you find the proper sabot slug for your gun, sight in at 2" or 2.5" high at 50 yards, this will put you within the kill zone out to roughly 100 yards.

I notice over many years the Lightfield 2-3/4" EXP slugs work great in almost all shotguns. Your Remington barrel has a 1 in 35" twist, that is a slow twist but common in slug guns, I have that barrel on my 11-87 the Lightfields work the best for me. Hornady, Winchester Golds, X3, Remington Core-Lokts, Federal Barnes, and similar sabot slugs work better in barrels with a faster twist.

Try the Lightfields, sight in at 2" or 2.5" high at 50 yards, I think you will like them, but once more check the scope if its bore sighted and the mounts are tight
Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with using rifled slugs in rifled barrels..You just need to be aware that there is a potential for leading and you may have to clean your barrel often to maintain accuracy.. At one time Hastings actually recommended either BRI sabots or Winchester rifled slugs for its rifled barrels..

You mentioned that you were getting some decent groups at first and then flyers starting showing up.. Is it possible that you were starting to flinch from your bruised shoulder..??..

My all time favorite sabot slug in 12 gauge has always been the Winchester BRI 2 3/4" standard velocity...It always grouped the best in my Remington rifled barrel and was MUCH gentler on my shoulder than most other 12 gauge slugs..Killed deer just fine, too...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your barrel is very tight.If the barrel twists under the load of recoil,this can also cause what you experience.My mossberg loves 2 3/4 BRI's from both Federal and Winchester.100 yard groups are alittle over 2".Rifled barrels have great potential.It will come together for you.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-17-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

1+ on the Lightfield 2-3/4" EXP for the 870.
Produces devastatingly lethal results.

When shooting in the summer, its wise to let them barrel's cool off.

bb
Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slugs will definitely loosen the barrel and scope.

Make sure your scope is quality and tight.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

You mentioned that you were getting some decent groups at first and then flyers starting showing up.. Is it possible that you were starting to flinch from your bruised shoulder..??..
This sounds like your problem more than the gun or ammo.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it a dedicated "slug gun"?If it is how about that deal about welding the barrel to the reciever ?Isn't that supposed to help alot with accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.