Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
that is not reccomended, a slug shouldnt be shot out of anything tighter than a modified

It doesn't hurt anything except accuracy. That's an old fable.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Moosemike. I cut some .410 slugs apart once, and they are way under .410
Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

I picked up some slugs on sale once and shot through my dad's NEF .410 for the heck of it once. TERRIBLE patterns at 30 yards.
I know you can't use .410's in Illinois, but you can in Indiana. Other than that I don't know about the state reg's. I actually saw some rifled .410 slug guns in a Winchester catalog with scope mounts and all, so I guess there's a handful of people that use them for big game. If you are planning on longer shots, and if you have the cash, send your receiver to NEF and have them stick a 20 or 12 gauge slug barrel on it. You'll get a lot longer lethal range.

rw
Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I strongly recommend that you look for a better gun.

The .410 is anemic at best and out of a full choke the accuracy may suffer badly. You're limited in range.....assuming it's even legal....

Surely someone will loan you an old Mauser or other rifle.....a .30-30...

Heck....almost anything is better......and yes.....I know a guy that killed a nice buck with one..... It can be done.....but avoid it if you can!