Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Good overall large game caliber? >

Good overall large game caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good overall large game caliber?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Like stated earlier it should come down to fit and feel. All companies you listed make pretty decent guns for the money. However, IMO savage probably has the best thing going right now. If it fits you well I would vote for the Weather Warrior in 7mm rem mag. The wsm calibers are nice, but they don't have the ammo options the 7mm has. The 7mm isn't cheap to shoot, but it nots overly expensive ethier. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Of the 3 you listed I would choose the 7mm rem mag since you do not reload. It has double the ammo options of the wsm and it will easier to find that load that likes your rifle. It is also a solid 700 yard rifle with the right bullet.

As far as the rifle goes this would be my choice:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ONGRANGEHUNTER

Last edited by Scott Gags; 07-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's my call;

Savage Weather Warrior in Stainless (and detachable box) with accu trigger & accu stock.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/116FCSS

I have the little brother (16FCSS) in .204 - it's a shooter (cloverleafs with Hornady 40 gr V-max's).

Good luck with your decision !
Old 07-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Firstly, since the OP's list here never included "brown bears", let's leave them out of it. If you have enough money to go on a brown bear hunt, you have enough money to buy a rifle JUST for brown bear hunting.

Mule Deer, Elk, and Moose are the possibilities. Of the three, my own experiences have been that Muleys would most likely present the longest shot, since they often share range with pronghorns, as well as with the elk and moose. Though some outfitters will take you on a sagebrush elk hunt, elk tend most often to be found in the timber. You might find yourself staring across a canyon at a herd, but more often than not, it's more likely to be across a meadow and shots shorter than 300 yards (I've never had to take a shot at an elk beyond 150). Moose are going to be encountered up close most often.

If you KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the country you'll hunt is open, unobstructed by timber and terrain features, any of the choices here would be okay, though I'd lean toward the 7mm Mag.

One can still find 7mm Mag ammo in almost any country hardware store out here, where the same cannot be said of the other two (I really have to wonder who'd go on a hunt and forget or run out of ammo, though?). Whether or not one reloads, I'm just not sold on the short-mag craze. So you can use a short-action rifle - "that saves weight." Hmmm, I'd venture to say that if weight were really a concern, most of us could drop ten pounds of it between now and hunting season - and none of it would come from the rifle? From what I've seen of them performance-wise, they're not worth my giving up the long-action, belted mags that I already own - in spite of all the marketing hype and the gun writers.

Contrary to what many carry into the field, western hunting isn't necessarily a sniper's dream. Practice snap-shooting. It's a skill you'll need out here, too. Don't be surprised if you find yourself in alternating stands of thick timber, broken up by an occasional meadow. Ditch the bipod and the 12+ power scopes, I rarely use anything above 4x. If you think you'll do some spotting, bring an actual "spotting scope" - unless you wouldn't mind someone like me pointing my rifle at you to watch what YOU are doing? START GETTING INTO SHAPE NOW - you'll be doing a LOT of walking.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
30-06 is all you need...
I fully agree....find a M-70 featherweight or a Remington mountain rifle....light weight is more important than magnum power.....The .30-06 has fully adequate power!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
30-06 is all you need...Those other rifles are too heavy and long of barrel for a good all week carry gun...
I agree. A 30.06 can handle it