Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which rifle? >

Which rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which rifle?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd certainly take the A7 over a Tikka (I've had and sold two). I'm not much into Remmy's, but I'd take a Ruger Hawkeye or #1 for sure. Just get whatever feels the best to you.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
You can completely customize a 700 for the pricew of one Sako. IMO they are also heavy and point like a log.
I wonder what youd think of my savage 10ML, that thing IS a log, and weighs about as much. Makes a mess of a deer though.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Different guns for different situations. I like to walk about and slip most of the time so a heavy rifle is a bit of a hindrance to me. My partner loves heavy rifles, he personally shoots them better.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
That's a hell of a price !

And, if that X bolt was stainless fo $600 - I'd buy that also !!!

Those are the two "best" rifles I own.
My X Bolt is the Hunter model with satin finish metal and wood. I looked at the stainless/synthetic model but did not like the feel of the stock. To be more specific, it is the surface of the stock I don't care for. The shape of the stock I'm fine with.

Been thinking about picking up one of those A7's but have pretty much talked myself in to saving for another X Bolt.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Different guns for different situations. I like to walk about and slip most of the time so a heavy rifle is a bit of a hindrance to me. My partner loves heavy rifles, he personally shoots them better.

I see your point and agree with you in that situation. Do you consider the A7 heavy at 6.5 lbs though?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

No sir, I may have made an error there. I believe I was thinking of older Sakos, I thought my partners was an A7 but it is not if they weigh 6.5 pounds. I admittedly dont know much about them except for what I posted. 6 1/2 pounds is a great weight for a rifle. Maybe my partners is older? A Finnbear maybe? It is very heavy. He also has a vixen in 222 rem which is a splendid little rifle.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

No sir, I may have made an error there. I believe I was thinking of older Sakos, I thought my partners was an A7 but it is not if they weigh 6.5 pounds. I admittedly dont know much about them except for what I posted. 6 1/2 pounds is a great weight for a rifle. Maybe my partners is older? A Finnbear maybe? It is very heavy. He also has a vixen in 222 rem which is a splendid little rifle.

The A7 is a newer model for Sako. Probably introduced to be a little more competitive in the price department. From what I can tell and understand from others, they seem to shoot and handle well.

Meant to tell you earlier that those are some good looking 700's, especially the ADL....love those lines on that stock.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Va,I think shes a beauty and a shooter. I dont shoot many groups as those are hunting rifles but when I do itll throw anything headstamped .270 win into one inch or better. Bought it at a show for $400 and taken a truckload of game with it for sure, shes affectionately dubbed the pig slayer by my partners. BTW thanks for straightening me out on the Sako.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Va,I think shes a beauty and a shooter. I dont shoot many groups as those are hunting rifles but when I do itll throw anything headstamped .270 win into one inch or better. Bought it at a show for $400 and taken a truckload of game with it for sure, shes affectionately dubbed the pig slayer by my partners. BTW thanks for straightening me out on the Sako.

I hope I did not come across as straightening you out...that was not my intention.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

No sir you came across as one should in such a situation, I made an error ( not unusual) and you pointed it out in a very satisfactory manner. Better than I can say for some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.