Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bipods

Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bipods

I really wanted a Harris bipod that swivels with notched legs. However, I found an awesome deal online for a Harris that doesn't swivel and doesn't have the notched legs. What are the advantages to a swivel one? Also the reason I wanted notched legs is so I could make sure I had them each extended the same length. Or is this a non concern? Having never used a bipod before, I'm wondering if I should just use this thing and see how I like it, or if I should and keep looking for a use swivel one with notched legs and keep this one as a spare?

BTW a friend also told me to be careful with them as if you are rough it can rip the sling swivel stud out. This got me to thinking. Is this a big concern? From shooting off the ground will the recoil of it do this if the legs are firm on the ground? How big of an issue is this?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

i have been using a bipod for a few years now and i have yet to rip a sling swivel out, but i dont a bit of damage to the stock of a weatherby vanguard but it was totaly my fault. i had a clean shot on a crow but was on un level ground so i inadvertently twisted the stock. the sling swivel never fit right after that but the vanguard has a cheap stock with no swivel bedding. i still use non pivoting bi pods but thats only because i use bipods on my "on the move" crow rifles and long range deer rifles. i find that if im on un level ground it is fastest to just put my hand under one leg and adjust my hand accordingly. ive thought about going to swivel types but i dont like the extra bulk. also, if you are mechanically inclined you should make swivel bedding studs for all your rifles that you plan to use a bipod on, especially if your rifles have cheap plasic stocks or wood stocks like most my rifles
Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I really wanted a Harris bipod that swivels with notched legs"

Buy one then................they're the best !

Swivels = that's a good thing !

Notched legs for uneven ground, also a good thing !
Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't tighten the bipod too much and the stud will be fine. If it's an old or cheaper stock, you can always go up a size in stud if it starts going loose on you from overtightening and other wear/tear.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Can someone ban the above spammer? Seems to be a lot of that lately.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. The gun it's going on has a synthetic stock that's not the strongest thing in the world. Fairly flimsy in the fore end. It has a stud with a nut on the inside of the stock that the stud screws into. Should this be an okay setup?

I may use this bipod for a bit and if I find the need for a swivel one just buy one. I keep hoping to find a used one, but I may give in and get a new one if I decide I want one and don't see a used one from now until then.