Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how to improve shooting >

how to improve shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to improve shooting

Old 07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how to improve shooting

Ok first some history. I am a 95% self taught shooter. Be it target or hunting. I got my first gun at 18 and have went from pistols, shotguns rifles, and Ar rifles plus muzzelloaders.

My taught not me the basics but he is not a big gun guy and the only gun we ever owned when I was a kid was a 22.
I do good get the rounds on the target most of the time. I can hit 75% if I shoot clays off a mound from 25 to 30 yards with my glock. I do good with rifles. though not as good or great as I would like.

I was thinking about getting a large cal AR or bolt gun the other day if our trip to florida fell out but it is on and the rifle will need to wait. Though I want to improve my shooting with my handgun now.

My thought was put up a couple targets and go from one to the other and do some draw and fire drills. I think i might be getting ahead of my self and think I should go with the basics.

SO figure starting from near scratch what should I shot with and move on to
Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Are we talking handgun or rifle here?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had some training in law enforcement. This biggest thing I learned... don't jerk the trigger. This is the #1 reason people aren't good shooters.

Try this.. look at your front sight, crosshair etc.. and say in your mind over and over front sight.. front sight... while slowing squeezing the trigger. The reason to say front sight.. front sight.. is so you occupy your mind and you're not concentrating on pulling the trigger. Don't worry about when it's going to go off. I have a slow trigger pull, especially while hunting, but this made a huge difference for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will try that, I am going to go out tomorrow and do some shooting. I got lucky and wally world had a 100 round box of 45s for 34 bucks.

Also for the first post. Talking hand gun semi auto 45 glock
Originally Posted by robbcayman
I had some training in law enforcement. This biggest thing I learned... don't jerk the trigger. This is the #1 reason people aren't good shooters.

Try this.. look at your front sight, crosshair etc.. and say in your mind over and over front sight.. front sight... while slowing squeezing the trigger. The reason to say front sight.. front sight.. is so you occupy your mind and you're not concentrating on pulling the trigger. Don't worry about when it's going to go off. I have a slow trigger pull, especially while hunting, but this made a huge difference for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Practice practice practice. Don't be afraid to go out and burn through a few hundreds rounds in a day. I am sure there are plenty of videos on YouTube that you could watch to help you improve your stance and form.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think one issue is when I go I normally take someone and it seems everyone has some idea of how to shoot or do this or do that even though they have had less rounds though a gun then obama has. SO when I go out this time I am going by my self and going to have the place to my self with no distractions
Originally Posted by SchuLace
Practice practice practice. Don't be afraid to go out and burn through a few hundreds rounds in a day. I am sure there are plenty of videos on YouTube that you could watch to help you improve your stance and form.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

when your are talking the shot, keep your sights on target before and after the shot. this simple tip got me from winning small local .22 prone events to winning provincial and national 300 meter prone competitions. so many guys will have good follow through but after the bang they try and "watch the shot" instead of keeping the rifle inline where its supposed to be. this technique also works really well with a bow and crossbow.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I'll keep this short and sweet. A 22lr with thousands of rounds is the best teacher you can have. I practice with my 22lr rifle and 22lr semi automatic pistol all the time. If you can make five shots from the 22lr look like one hole then you can do it with every gun you own if all things are working right. The rest is in the mind.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

so many guys will have good follow through but after the bang they try and "watch the shot" instead of keeping the rifle inline where its supposed to be...
Dylan: just wondering, why after the bullet has left the barrel, does it make a difference if a shooter tries to "watch the shot?"
Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you’re really serious go to school;

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/trapschools.html

The cost of a good gun !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.