Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 So when' s the last time you... >

So when' s the last time you...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

So when' s the last time you...

Old 07-01-2003, 09:58 PM

Default So when' s the last time you...

creased your forehead?

I was just reading the Bowhunting.com forum, and they were talking about the releases coming back and hitting them in the eye... I remember growing up my dad would eeeevery once in a while let that 7mm Rem Mag get too close to his eye, and we' d have to go get him a paper towel or something. I always thought he was dumb, until he had me shoot his ' 06 one day. I wasn' t used to the scope, so I started crawling.. and, pop! I didn' t think anything was wrong until I felt the trickle down to my eye. Had a hard time explaining it to my girlfriend on our date that night! [8D]
Old 07-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: So when' s the last time you...

That happened to me the first time I shot one of my 7mm Rem Mags. I had a straight 6 power scope and got a little to close. Don,t feel bad though I read where it happened to Roy Weatherby with his 257 Weatherby Mag. Your in good company.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:18 PM
bigcountry

Gotta love those long eye relief scopes that Leupold makes.

Old 07-02-2003, 04:24 AM

I only use 3 1/2" or greater eye relief scopes and have never gotten scope eye brow, shooting even the nastiest magnums.Its the 3" ers that will bite you if given a chance on a solid kicker! Rubber and neoprene eye rings can keep a contact from requiring stitches and leaving a scar also.Proper scope positioning to place the eye at perfect exit pupil distance can also prevent crawling the stock to get the full FOV,but theres no getting around the benefits of a decent eye relief distance. Its the optical triangle between eye relief - FOV - and scope size and power that every scope maker walks,some scrimp on eye relief to get more of one of the other benefits.

woods
Old 07-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year with my .300 Weatherby,OUCH...[]
Old 07-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

300 weatherby with a Leupold 3.5x40 on it laying prone in a foot of wet snow. Could have been worse if I ddin' t have Butler Creek lens covers on. First and Last I hope.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 AM

7 mag 10 years ago. Laying prone shot at an antelope. About knocked me out.
I thought I got all the blood off, then these two guys and a kid walked up to check out my antelope.
The kid kept looking at me funny and finally whispers to his Dad, " Whats wrong with his face" . Well turned out all I had done is smeared it all over.
Yeah the pictures turned out great, haha.

3" eye relief scope was part of the problem culprit. Went to Leupolds after that and have never done it again. Had to sell that 7mag cause I could not cure the flinch with it.
Now I shoot a 300 win mag with no problems.
I like the Butler Creek caps also but I use two front ends. The release catch on the rear models sticks out too far for me.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

never!! i always try to watch and make sure i dont...and the biggest caliber ive every shot was a really hot 300 weatherby mag loaded to the max i think.....my friend caught some scope eye from a 3006....split his eye right open...scar and evrything...i remind him all the time and we laugh about it....i hope that never happens to me...im sure it would help develop a pretty bad flinch......i guess im lucky....i know i will never quit watching....and all my guns i had the scope put on to my specs...so its perfect and i can shoot it comfortably and hold steady.....
Old 07-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s been a long time, I can' t even remember the last time I did, but I bet it was with my custom sporterized .308mauser, I had just put a scope on it for fun, and so that my fiance could use it as a deer rifle, that' s been a couple years ago now, but I' m pretty sure that was the last time.

I have a buddy that does it at least once per range day, he doesn' t usually cut it, just blacks his eye, or swells his eyebrow, I keep telling him to move his glass BACK, he has moved it so far forward thinking that would help the scope burning problem, but then he has to shift his head so far forward that it' s making it worse!!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got 5 stitches a few years back, with of all things my .308!!!!
I was holding it at a bad angle, to make a shot. I got the deer and the dubious distinction of having the first hunting accident in Jasper county that year!
I went to Leupolds and have had no further accidents!

Quick Reply: So when' s the last time you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.