Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mauser action >

mauser action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mauser action

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default mauser action

does anyone know where I can find a mauser or even maybe a remington 700 action. I would like to start building a rifle.
Thanks
Chris
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

I would try Shotgun News, or Gunlist. It may be cheaper to find a used gun (either previously sporterized or a surplus 98)to start with. I have a 1933 manufactured Oberndorf Mauser, lightly sporterized by my dad (Williams sights, Herters stock, dropped bolt handle) that I have often considered completing. Be aware that by the time you are done doing a real build- new barrel, drill and tap, safety conversion, scope mounts and quality scope, and stock,bolt bending, replacement trigger,etc. etc. you will easily be double what a fine new productioin rifle would cost. Even then, other than having a true custom gun, value wise you will not be ahead, and it probably still wont be on a par weight wise with most new production rifles.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just read "legacy sports" imports/has new mauser 98 actions? I went to their site couldn't find much info, perhaps give them a call? let me know what you find out...

E.R.Shaw will build you essentially a custom rifle, and you get one of their barrels built on a savage action with a few improvements I hear for $875?
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/er_shaw_new_heritage.pdf

Have a caliber in mind? What's this rifle going to be used for mostly?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check out Gunbroker or one of the other online auction sites. It sounds like something that you could find there. Check out the Classified forum here.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Look around at pawn shops for old Remington 700 ADLs they can be found for $400 or less and some of them had great barrels on them . I suggest getting a long action so you can chamber it in more calibers if you decide to change it later.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Keep your eye out for remington model 798's. They were a large ring model 98 mauser based rifle imported by remington. Can get them in a range of hunting calibers for cheap if you look around. Take a look at CDNN. I landed one in 375H&H for under $400.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Fork Horn

Ridge runner you may be right but I've got 3 shaw barrels and they all shoot sub MOA (2 of them not by much the and the other 5/8 or less @ 100 if I do my part). The factory savage barrels that I've shot where under 2 @ 100 and that was about the best they would do.