Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
glock 17 ,17c or 34 >

glock 17 ,17c or 34

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

glock 17 ,17c or 34

Old 06-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Spike

Default glock 17 ,17c or 34

I plan to get a 9mm glock mainly for plinking and some target shooting. I had planned on the model 17. I was wondering if I should get a model 17c or 34 instead?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 23c.
I didn't really like the compensated barrel, the front sights would get fouled up after a bit of shooting. Just more stuff to clean, I don't think the compensated barrel really offered a whole lot of advantage over a standard barrel.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

cant go wrong with the 22..especially for plinkin...dont need a break on a 9 anywaays
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Spike

Have a Buckmark contour with a 7.25" barrel. Just want to add a 9.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This site always make me laugh when a person asked if they should get X Y or Z and about 3 posts in folks start saying you should get A or B instead.

I like the longer barrels for what you want it for. I dont really see a need to get a 9mm with a comp in your situation.

Here is another discusssion close to what you asked.

http://www.handgunforum.net/glock/13...7-vs-34-a.html
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've previously owned a G17, shot a G17C and would love to shoot a G34. Based on your stated reasons of mainly plinking and some target shooting, any of these models will do. They are all very accurate and easy to maintain. Some thoughts in general are;

The G34 has a slightly longer barrel to increase accuracy but a G17 will do just fine for what you want. If you ever decide to carry this gun concealed (as in CCW), the G34 will be a little harder to conceal.

A compensated Glock is going to be a little louder for both you as a shooter and anybody nearby. There isn't that much recoil in a 9mm pistol so you may not think the extra expense of a compensator is worth it. That's a decision you would have to make for yourself.

The G17 was the original Glock pistol and should be very easy to buy used if you're thinking about saving some money that way. It's almost impossible to wear one of these pistols out as they torture test the barrels for several hundred thousand rounds. If you plan on shooting that much, buying a replacement barrel would only be a drop in the bucket. I used to carry a G17 off-duty in a gunbag off-duty and it worked just fine. Besides, you're definitely not going to run out of ammo.

Hope this helps some. Enjoy the pistol you buy.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.