Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today >

got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today

Old 06-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today

i picked up my remington model 673 in .350 mag. today , and i' m very pleased with her , i' ve heard alot of complaints about the quality of remington as of late and i can' t see any of that in this rifle , her fit and finish is perfect ( or as close to perfect as we humans can get in our god the father' s world ) , the stock is extremely well checkered , no flaws or mistakes that i can detect and it' s made of laminated beech wood by the way. the stock also seems to borrow a feature from the m700 mountain rifle , where the action and flooplate and the forearm of the stock meet under the front of the action , it seems to be semi-shaved on the sides to give the forearm area a rounded appearance ( i can' t really describe this any better than that , those that have a mountain rifle know what i' m talking about ). the stock comes with sling swivel studs ( but no swivels ) the rifle is surprisingly light to handle and shoulders very easily and is well balanced when holding her under the forward part of the reciever where the barrel threads into it . the barrel looks to be of a light contour design and has a recessed crowning , the sights are great to use as well but you can' t adjust them for elevation in the normal way , you have to use a hex wrench , to raise the point of impact , turn the elevation screw clockwise.

the ventilated rib is not connected directly to the barrel it is screwed fast to it but , it is isolated by the use of synthetic buffers , both above and below the rib , the design allows the rib to float , in this way the barrel moves independently of the rib , and therefore shouldn' t affect accuracy.

the owner' s manual that is provided is for your model 700 , seven , and 710 series rifles , there is an insert sheet in the manual that gives the above information about the sights and rib , all other info on the rifle is the same as for the model seven , the capacity is 4 rounds

the action was smooth to work and unfortunately has the remington key lock on the left side of the bolt , the blueing is a semi high luster and the bolt is jeweled ( in the catalog and on the website the bolt isn' t jeweled but , mine on this rifle is and is done very nicely, and the action is pinned in the stock at both the front and rear.

when i picked her up this morning ( saturday , 28 , 2003 [&:])
i found out that i won' t get the shells for her until next weekend , they didn' t make the truck when the rifle was shipped to my dealer and won' t be returning there until next week , so i didn' t get to shoot her yet but , when i get the chance , you all will be the first to know

BTW- if you want to mount a scope on her , you' ll have to either remove the rear sight , or get a scope that doesn' t have a very large objective lens ( or in my case one that won' t have an objective lens larger than the scope tube itself ) or you could get a set of see thrue mounts or at least ones high enough to clear the rear sight. the rear scope mounting area has 2 mounting screws instead of one , the front mounting area is still the same .
Old 06-29-2003, 12:09 AM

Default RE: got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today

Sounds like a nice rifle that .350 will be a nice woods cartridge as the .35 whelen just a touch more power. I have not seen one in person.

I will agree the key lock is not needed. But when we live in a time when lever guns have crossbolt safetys what should we expect.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a very nice rifle to me. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:16 PM

hows the trigger gaurd? plastic or metal?
Old 06-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

it appears to be aluminum as a magnet won' t stick to it but , it doesn' t appear to be plastic like the 700' s or the seven as it makes a different sound when you tap on it but , that could just be me , if you want i can e-mail remington and ask them ??
Old 06-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whelen36-Where did you get the idea that the trigger guards on the model7' s and 700' s are plastic?All that I have seen were metal and some of these are very new.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

i heard about it on this message board stubblejumper , and gave it the magnet test, and it didn' t stick
Old 06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually magnets don' t stick to aluminum or many alloys either which is what remington uses to make their model seven and 700 triggerguards.Has anyone out there actually seen a trigger guard on a model 7 or 700 with their own eyes that they are 100% sure is plastic?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

stubblejumper , i didn' t say that it was plastic , in my post i said it appears to be aluminum , and that it doesn' t appear to be plastic as when i tap on it it makes a different sound than plastic would make , and quilly was the one who asked me if it was metal or plastic my friend , and i know that magnets won' t stick to aluminum , they also don' t stick to brass , or copper , i may have just worded it wrong in my reply to you , check my reply to quilly and you' ll see what i mean
Old 06-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whelen36-If you reread our last few posts you stated that it didn' t appear to be plastic like the 700' s or model 7.I then asked where you got the idea that the 700' s and model 7' s had plastic triggerguards since you not Quilly made the statement.Your response was that a magnet did not stick to it.Perhaps you meant the 673.If that is the case I will repeat my question as to whether or not you have actually seen a plastic triggerguard on a 700 or model 7 and where you got the idea that they were plastic.

Quick Reply: got my .350 rem. mag. model 673 today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.