Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions  about shooting reloads >

Opinions about shooting reloads

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions about shooting reloads

Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Opinions about shooting reloads

Hey fellows,
I'm going to the range tomorrow to fire some new ammo and some reloads I got from a friend who got them as part of his dad's will/estate..

My rifle is a new 700 Remington 270 and has not been fired yet..I have about 4 bags of 270 reloads given to me..I have no idea what the writing on the bags mean.can someone please help me interpret the writing and let me know if they think they are safe to shoot.
Thanking you in advance ,
Chuck

Aug. 16, 1995
270-Win
44-Loaded
110 gr. Sierra bullet
45.5 gr. 4895
same loading as last
those had bullet seated duper
Vic
Old 06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

That load should be perfectly safe in your gun. I've got an old reloading manual that lists 4895 loads, 50 grains max for a 130 gr. bullet and 53 gr. max for a 100 gr. bullet.
I'm guessing there's 44 rounds loaded in the bag. I suspect that "duper" = "deeper" and the guy loading them was apparently trying some different bullet seating depths, perhaps to improve accuracy.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That data shows a relatively light load.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Folks,
I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions..I have 3 more bags with different loads..from 110 up to 130..grain.

about 150 rounds in all.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you value your rifle??

Let me see. Third hand reloads in a bag with writing on the bag?? Never in my rifle. But then I value my rifle. As well as my eyes and everything else.

I would not even shoot a reload in my rifle that was handled by two different people. And you are considering the firing of a reload that has handled by three people?? Not smart IMO. Tom.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

like Tom said, i wouldnt fire them...i would dispose of them somehow..but would make sure noone could fire them...

just no telling whats actually in there...could be perfectly fine...could blow you and your rifle to pieces..

just not worth the risk IMO...

as a rule of thumb NEVER fire anyone elses reloads...ever...

only exception might be is if a VERY good friend that knows his stuff loads up some pretty light generic type loads for you...or if he actually works up a load for Y O U R rifle...but, you gotta trust him and his loads...

personally, i will likely never load for anyone..i dont wanna hear it when they get the only bad primer in the brick...and dont want blamed for nothing..

only exception might be dad..i might work up loads for his 2 hunting rifles if he wants me to and load him 50rds for each rifle or something..then he's got an accurate load with good bullets and doesnt have to worry about ammo for a real long time..

i definitely strongly advise against firing those loads or letting anyone else fire them...ever..they need disposed of...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Dominant Buck

10-4 and the reason why I posted the thread...I'm a nobody in this field and simply came for advice.

I'll ask the local gun dealer how to dispose of them..

Appreciate EVERYONE'S advice.
Sincerely,
Chuck7
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

as a rule of thumb NEVER fire anyone elses reloads...ever...
+3 about that. Only my own stuff.
For a few dollars, if you reload, you can buy a bullet puller and dismantle those rounds. It's a bit of work but you could harvest the brass, and the bullets.
Of course, there's no way to know how many times those cases have been fired....but it is an option. In this day and age, with brass and bullet prices as high as they are, it might be worth doing.
Pete
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this isn't the safest thing in the world but I'd shoot at least one and check for signs of pressure. If I had no writing to tell me what they are then I'd dunk them in water.

The load is very mild.

Again probably no the best idea but given the writing you're probably ok. Heck why not see if you can talk to someone. In today's dollars thats quite a bit of money.

Tom
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Head, the one and only time I fired someone elses reload in my revolver I got a missing chip of chrome plating from the ordeal and you could tell it was very hot. And this friend was an experienced loader that I knew of. Everyone makes a mistake. I like my own loads I check each and every one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.