Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.17 barrel fouling up? >

.17 barrel fouling up?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 barrel fouling up?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default .17 barrel fouling up?

Hey all...
I've got a .17 HMR... and have repeatedley experience these probs...

I clean it thoroughly inside and out, and sight it in. After 50-100 shots, It begins shooting rougly 2 inches high???

Is this because the barrel needs cleaning?
We have a bore snake, but I've always been taught that if you shoot a gun regularly there is no need to clean the inside of the barrel.
Also by running a bore snake through, will it mess with my accuracy?

I'm pretty unexperienced when it comes to rifles, so I would love to hear some advice...
thanks and take care,
Gerard
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Spike

What 17HMR rifle do you have?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hey!
Yeah I have a Savage 9317BVSS...
Basically a stainless bolt action w/heavy barrel...
Thanks again
Gerard V.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

You could get some copper solvents, NOT bore cleaner and clean the bore out.

Also does it shoot consistent groups after 50-100 rounds? if it does maybe consider sighting it in after you have your 100 rounds through.

BTW I have the same exact gun and I used to clean it alot, but after 250 rounds down the barrel it still shoots great so I've decided to quit cleaning it, unless I see a downfall in accuracy.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Spike

If you take that gun totally down to clean it , that maybe the problem. Many rifles are subject to erractic accuracy due to changing forend pressure. My 17 shoots under an inch..all the time....Never clean it....
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

the hmr isn't known to have problems with fouling, so the barrel really shouldn't need cleaned after only 50-100 shots.
I'd say clean it good, a bore snake isn't the best cleaning tool but it makes a good field cleaning tool, but use a good coated rod with some good copper foaming cleaner and run patches through the barrel and then foam it again and patch the barrel again, until it's good and clean and then don't clean it again until the accuracy goes away, which should be a few hundred rounds.