Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hoppe's no. 9 or Montana x-treme. >

Hoppe's no. 9 or Montana x-treme.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hoppe's no. 9 or Montana x-treme.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hoppe's no. 9 or Montana x-treme.

I have both of these, which would be the best copper solvent.

Also what is your cleaning routine. I also got a new gun so how would you recomend cleaning before shooting.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Montana Extreme without another thought.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Not familiar with the Montana Extreme but I faithfully use Hoppe's Benchrest copper solvent with excellent results. I soak it real good and let the rifle sit overnight with the muzzle pointing down and the next day it cleans up real nice.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Not familiar with the Montana Extreme but I faithfully use Hoppe's Benchrest copper solvent with excellent results. I soak it real good and let the rifle sit overnight with the muzzle pointing down and the next day it cleans up real nice.
Use the Montana Extreme and you'll only be letting it sit for about 10 minutes and probably won't need to do any scrubbing either. Hoppes is like after shave compared to this stuff, that's the copper solvent too.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
Use the Montana Extreme and you'll only be letting it sit for about 10 minutes and probably won't need to do any scrubbing either. Hoppes is like after shave compared to this stuff, that's the copper solvent too.
10 minutes? Wow. I'll have to give it a try, thanks for the tip. Is it a liquid or foam?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like wipe out for cleaning....

that stuff eats fouling and doesnt smell like most chemical cleaners...and i dont think it'll eat metal like some of the harsh chemicals out there...some stuff will do more harm than good if left in it long...

also use JB bore paste once in a while just to get it REAL back to clean....but the only gun that gets that done somewhat "regular" is the 22-250 as i shot it a bunch...
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Ditto. I love the Hoppes Benchrest Copper Solvent! Works great on every firearm I own.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've also been using Hoppes Copper Solvent for 10 years or so. No problems. Always clean barrels.

I recently wanted to give shooters choice a shot. Wish I hadn't. Stinks real bad. Will be switching back once this bottle is done.

Tom