Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right? >

300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right?

Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right?

rifle weight recoil energy recoil vel

300 Wby. Mag. (180 at 3240) 9.25 40.3 n/a
.300 Ultra Mag. (180 at 3230) 8.5 32.8 15.8
from CHuck Hawks recoil table...

How can this be? This has to be wrong...
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right?

Definately. With that extra pound on that Weatherby, it should be even lower than the 300RUM. Now if that 300RUM wieghed 12 lbs, then I can see it. Maybe!! From accurate reloading page, here is what they got.

300 WBY 9lb 150gr 14.3velocity 28.7ft lbs
300 WBY 9lb 220gr 15.7velocity 34.3ft lbs

Old 06-26-2003, 06:46 PM

I would chuck Chucks tables out the window!!!! First recoil velosity is very relavant! Energy is figured by this simple formula Velosity X Velosity X weight in grains divided by 450240. You also figure in weight of powder charge and some other stuff depending on if you have to determine the velosity on your own. In any case, rifles of equal weight, the .300 Ultra mag kicks alot harder then the Weatherby and if you look at those velosities only a masochist would opt for the Ultra.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

As the owner of both a 300 weatherby and two 300ultramags I find that there is no real difference in felt recoil.Rifle weight is very close but the weatherby has less weight in the barrel so they balance differently.My ultramags how,ever do produce over 125fps more velocity than my weatherby with both shooting handloads.My weatherby produced a maximum of 3250fps while my ultramags produce 3375fps and 3395fps both with 180gr bullets.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I figured no way they could be correct
Old 06-27-2003, 10:58 AM
bigcountry

Judson, I bet if you came down and shot with me, and I put a 300weatherby with an 180gr load in your arm without you knowing which gun is what, you shot it and then I put my 300RUM in your arm and you shot it, and then repeated this with several simular rounds, I will bet ya you can' t tell me with 100% repeatability which gun is which by felt recoil.

I mean slight differences in the shape of the recoil pad makes all the difference in the world. And I just so happen to have availablity to simular wieghted rifles both with H-S precision stocks.

If you have sensitivity to 2ft-lb differences in the two guns, then your a better man than me.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

So Judson, I guess you don' t get down to MD much to be up for the challenge?

Old 07-03-2003, 08:01 AM

You are right, I do not get very many places, only been on one hunting in my life but planing another for next year. As to recoil, other then powder weight the 3oo Ultra and the .300 Weatherby loaded to the same velosity and fired in idenitcal rifles would have roughly the same recoil. However when loaded to their full potential the Ultra would have noticiably more. Weatherby does not have the best stock design to minimise precieved recoil. Too much drop, the Remington design is no jem either but better in that department. If you ever get up this way stop by and we will shoot.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:21 PM
bigcountry

Sure will try to stop. I get up that way some time working however. But always like meeting the people on here. Planning a trip to Africa myself for 2004. Still a little short on money.

I never load my 300RUM to max. Accuracy always seems to be midway thru the powder range. So I rarely see those big numbers in velocity. Same for my weatherby I load for. Like for 180gr nosler Partitions, I load 93gr of H1000, and get .5" groups consistently but only 3100fps or less. Accuracy at 96gr, is like 2.5" , but get 3300fps. Think I am going to give the alliant powders a shot again. Everyone seems to get good accuracy and velocity.

It would be cool if everyone on this page could meet and shoot sometimes. But shooters are so opinionated, there would probably be fighting everywhere.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:30 PM

How did you know it was Africa for 2004? If you have a good outfitter you will love it and you will go back. Check refrences though, My wife Barb and I put two hunts back to back. The second out fitter " sucked" We did all right but poor attitude and other stuff made us uncomfortable. If you want the name of our first P.H. and I can not say enough good about him let me know. To give you an idea of how Africa gets to you I will tell you of our departure from Joburg.
The 747 started to move down the runway, my wife started to cry. I asked her what was wrong and Barb told me she had never been so home sick in her life.
I told her it was all right, we would be home in about 19 hours including driving time from the airport. She replied. " No not that, I am home sick about what we are leaving behind." I knew how she felt Africa changes you. This was even after an outfitter we could never recomend for our last ten days. We were with Walter Enslin for our first 19 days Strange, how women can be, Barb never wanted to go but I could not leave her out of somthing like that trip. Now she can not wait to go back.
Do some sight seeing while there, somthing like Kruger, you will not forget it.

Do it while you are young enough to enjoy it!!!!

Your Friend
Jud

Quick Reply: 300 Ultra mag ...can these tables be right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.