Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby Mark V Deluxe value >

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe value

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe value

Old 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default Weatherby Mark V Deluxe value

Thinking about selling my .270 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. It is in excellent shape, used very little. What would be a fair price?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Impossible to give an accurate price without pictures. Year of mfg. Quality of wood. And other information. I am just assuming it is right handed. However keep in mind that the 270 was not one of the popular cartridges. If you have some brass to go with the sale it would help alot. Tom.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Tom

I plan on keeping the brass as I am thinking about getting the .270 accumark. The gun is right handed and when comparing ballistics to the non Weatherby cartridges it will out perform most or be very comparible.

As I mentioned earlier the gun is in excellent condition but sorry no photo available at this time.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly was not questioning the performance of the 270 WM cartridge. You are right, it is an awesome cartridge. I was only pointing out that the 270WM was not one of their popular cartridges. I sold Weatherby for years, and the 270 and the 240 were the dark sheep. I have a 7mm EuroMark with really really nice dark wood. It is definitely a nice rifle, and after a good bit of load development I did find a good accurate load. I wish I could help you more with the value, but it is a difficult rifle to price. What kind of figure does the wood have?? Good wood on a rifle like that can raise the price a couple of hundred dollars-or even slightly more. And the better wood can make it very easy to sell. Tom.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

Default Gun Value

I do not know how to judge one nice looking wood stock over another. This gun's stock is not an exotic type wood but a very nice finish, in excellent condition. If I were to guess it is maybe a standard type wood.

I know there are a couple of other Weatherby mags that are excellent but I believe in having a gun that is adequate and not too big of a caliber "unless" a person can handle the bigger calibers. I use to own a 300 mag but it wasn't fun shooting. After shooting it a while from the bench it would beat you up and over time I picked up a few bad habits.

I learned it was much better for me to get a smaller, but adequate caliber that I could put the shot where it needed to go so I went with the .270. The .270 Weatherby will kill just about anything and in most ballistics it beats the 7mm rem and the 300 win and has less recoil energy.

The wood is so nice on the Mark V I hate to take it in the brush or take it on a horse so I thought I would get the kevlar stock .270 in a weatherby.

Any thoughts on the accumark in comparision with the Mark V for hunting?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I can give you, especially if you like the cartridge, is to buy a replacement stock for the rifle you already have. Then you would have two stocks. You could get one for a decent price. You could advertise on the forums for a take off synthetic Weatherby stock, Who knows you might find one. Personally I am the kind of guy who hunts with a good looking walnut stocked rifle. So that is just a matter of choice. However to just sell your rifle then buy an AccuMark would probably cost you more than just restocking what you have. Do you like the laminated stocks?? You can get a Richards Microfit for your Weatherby for a real good price. I would at least give it some thought. And that is from one Weatherby guy to another. Tom.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

Tom,

That was my original thought. After dong so investigating it sounded like the McMillan stock was the way to go except they make one stock to fit ALL Weatherby mag rifles therefore it would be slightly larger in the forearm.

To complicate matters is it cost almost $500 plus about another $60 to have it switched over.

I am a fan of stainless barrels and the Mark V has a blued barrel. The Accumark comes with a SS barrel and a kevlar stock. I think for less than the $500 which I'd pay for a McMillan stock I could sell my Mark V and pick up an Accumark.

I like the looks of wood much better but it hard to beat the duribility of the SS barrel and the kevlar.

I'll check out the stock you mentioned. Thanks!

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I recently read that the .30-378, 300wby, and .257wby were the top 3 and in that order for ammo sold...

Personally I think the 7mm Wby and .340wby are probably the 2 best wby made, and even that .240wby is pretty awesome but not very popular at all, the .340 and 7mm are at least kinda popular I think.

If you're getting a new accumark I'd strongly consider getting it in .257wby or 7mm wby

Remington chambers the .257wby nowadays... in the cdl-sf which is pretty sweet looking I think.

Or and ER Shaw in just about any wby cartridge you'd like...and in any configuration you want practically.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double Droptine,

Shoot me a pm I am interested in buying a 270-Weatherby.