Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 WSM What do you think??????????? >

.270 WSM What do you think???????????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 WSM What do you think???????????

Old 06-23-2003, 08:59 PM

Default .270 WSM What do you think???????????

I am thinking of getting the Winchester Coyote Model 70 in the .270 WSM. I am looking for alot of opinions on this rifle its self and the CALIBER? Im sure the Rifle is nice I never held the Coyote so not sure how it feels.

So what about this Caliber? Is it not a good thing? This Caliber would be for Reloading only, is there enough Data out there for it? It is in one of my books, havent looked any further. I would probaly trade the Rem700 VS .308 in trade for the Coyote .270WSM?

I just want to round up some info and see if the Caliber .270WSM is worth having? Or what Caliber would you rather have instead of the .270WSM, I want something that can go small bullet size for varmints to a size able for deer and hogs....

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...d=031&cat=001C

Thanks

Old 06-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .270 WSM What do you think???????????

The regular .270 is awesome and the .270WSM is a touch better. While it may not reach the velocites the Weatherby has it has a lot of advantages going for it. I don' t have one but the Coyote is a nice rifle. If I remember correctly the bolt uses a merger of a controled round bolt and a push feed bolt. CRPF - controled round push feed. It has the best of both worlds.

#1 there is no belt so the case headspaces on the shoulder wich usually leads to better accuracy. The belt is only on most of the long time magnums because they were based on another case like the H&H. The H&H needed the belt because the shoulder angle was designed for very easy loading in dangerous game situations and the angle was so slight that it could not properly headspace on the shoulder.

#2 Shorter action means a stiffer action which usually leads to better accuracy.

#3 It can shoot heavier bullets better than the good old .270 winchester can so it can handle bigger game more readily. Even though the .270 WIN is just fine.

#4 it' s about friggin time that another .270 cartrige was brought out.

If my grandfather hadn' t given me his .270 WIN. I would certainly buy one myself wth no hesitations. Other than money.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

With varmints inthe picture and no game larger than deer or hogs I would probably choose the 25-06 instead as it has plenty of power for hogs and deer but is more suitable for varmints.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 270 WSM sounds good to me. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:03 PM

The coyote is a very nice rifle. The new CRPF is very slick. The gun is a bit heavy at 9 lbs, but it has a nice feel and balance. I have tested the triggers on the 3 coyotes I have seen and they are a bit better than most M70. I believe the magazine floor plate is steel, I did not have my magnet with me. What I like about the coyote is the laminate stock and the medium-heavy contour matte stainless barrel. I wish the action was stainless, but the blue action stainless stock is kind of nice too look at.

I have a .270 win already. I am considering buying the coyote in 7mm wsm or .300 wsm.

The .270 wsm should serve you well for all deer and some larger game. The coyte model would be good for shootin its name sake. IMO any .270 is too much gun for varmits. The .270 wsm will work fine for hogs too. If I was a woods hunter I would choose another rifle, something with less weight and barrel. If I hunted from a blind or shootin house the M70 coyote would be sweet.

Check out the new Nosler and Lyman reloading manual they list the win shot mags and the rem short mags, that way you can compare them.

I am betting that the remington short mags are virtually defunct in about 5 years. The Rem RUMS are not doing too good either. Most mail order catalogs don' t even have brass for all the Rem RUMS and SAUMS. I would stick with the big red W on this.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:13 PM

Stubblejumper,

Now I don' t know where or how you hunt hogs but a long barreled .25-06 is NOT a hog rifle. Most hogs are shot in the woods or some swampy area in the south. But even if you hunt from a blind or tree stand where a long barrel is not that much of a hindrance, the .25-06 is still a poor choice. That little bullet will loose its energy very fast at long range shots. IMO hogs require at least a .264 bore diameter. Remember wild boar are one of Lower North Americas dangerous game. Also a boar even smaller ones will absorb bullets that would turn a monster whitetail inside out. Larry Weishunn calls them poor mans grizzly. I know a .25-06 will kill a wild boar or even a moose but it still is a poor choice IMHO.

Also with wild boar bullet diameter and weight are more important than velocity, to a certain point that is. I believe only the heaviest bullets should be used per caliber.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:07 AM

Troy, I recently bought a 270WSM and have a Zeiss Conquest that will be mounted on it. My rifle is a Browning A-Bolt since I had a Brownig in .270 before and it was a great rifle I thought I would get another one. If you really would like lots of info on the WSM I suggest you go to the Shortmag site there is a ton of info there and lots of helpful people just like this forum.

www.shortmags.org
Old 06-24-2003, 08:55 AM
bigcountry

I have looked hard and long at the numbers for the 270WSM and the 270Win. Really not much difference. I am not sure there was meant to be. The WSM only has 7% more capacity, but seems to use it decently effectley with another 100fps performance. I am all for the 300WSM, but not sure about this 270 version. To me the number show it wasn' t exactly meant to be an upgrade for the 270Win but a different flavor if you like short actions.

Maybe some will like the theory that you should be able to get very low std. dev. in velocity with this round. I have had a tough time with my two 270' s finding powders that gave me hotrod velocitys and very low spreads. 4064 seems to be my best. But my 308win, I don' t have any trouble with finding powder that burns uniformly. Go figure.

I have to agree newboarhunter, long barreled anything is not suited for boar hunting. Especially where I hunt in WV. Roughest terrain you will ever find. Straight up and down and they love the bryers. Alot of people are using 30-06 contenders for them. Now these are monster boar, around 250lbs.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you put a 26' barrel on the 270 win you will match speeds on a 270 wsm...I think the fact it also comes in a lighter overall package and has those good speeds will make it more saleable. I mean there are only 3 270' s in the US market that is enough. If it is anything like the 300 wsm it should not be finnicky with loads although neither the 270 win or the 270 wtby are finnicky either. Hey they are all good calibers.. I however would not buy another M70 win chambered in a shortmag because they don' t feed smoothly at all. The 25-06 may be a good javelina round but when we hunt hogs the 444 and the 45/70 come along.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:15 PM

bigcountry,

I have shot boar between 250-325lb. I have seen others mostly Austrian and Russian mix around 500lb mark these are a totaly different animal than a 100-150lb " eating" hog.

Hunted with at a place with a 3:1 hunter to guide ratio. We had a 12 ga slug gun with 350 gr 3" mag forster type slug, a .45/70 with 405 grain and a .444 marlin 240gr. We shoot hogs from 200lb sows to 250 lb boar and still only one hog was killed with one shot. All shots were in the kill zone mostly lung hits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.