Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Long range "Buffalo" guns? >

Long range "Buffalo" guns?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long range "Buffalo" guns?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default Long range "Buffalo" guns?

I'm interested in joining in our local gun club that has SASS long range shoots. (200 - 750 yards)
I'd be buying my first such rifle and could use some help in choosing it. I've done some internetting on the subject and am leaning towards a metal cartridge gun like a Sharp's 45-70 replica. But they seem to all be made in Italy.
Are they any good? Even those start around $1,000.00!
So which caliber? Rifle (model)? Manufacturer?
Any kit guns out there?

Last edited by dig4gold; 04-19-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You first need to decide whether you want to shoot smokeless powder or black powder.

You are not going to buy a very good quality Sharps for $1,000. You may find a decent used one, but not a new one.

If $1,000 is your limit then I would search for a good used 1885 HighWall rifle. You should be able to find a 45-70 in a good quality HighWall for that price if you take your time. Tom.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

750yd shot on a buffalo?

.416wby, I think 350grs @2800fps or so...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Smokeless powder is not allowed, so black powder.
So the Italian guns are not worth it? Uberti, or Perersoli are junk?
I'm not saying a $1,000 is my limit, it's just where the repilcas start.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Pedersoli have a fine reputation. Starting out, the 45-70 is standard. It can be pretty rough on the shoulder itself after a session, and as you move up the ammo/ components get pretty pricey for starting out. The 45-90 and 120 can be downright brutal and not fun at all to shoot, even for heavily built and experienced shooters.
New England arms makes a well built 45-70 along traditional lines which has gotten quite popular and is very affordable. It isnt as purty as perhaps the Brownings, Pedersolis, etc. but can shoot just as well in experienced hands, and the design has been around since buffalo days.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

No one said the Pedersoi was junk. Heck I have one that I really like. I misunderstood your $1,000 remark. The $1,000 rifles do not have the sights that are necessary to do the distance shooting that you want to do. you need to step up a bit in price to get an adequate rifle to do that type shooting(along with the long range sights).

Below is a picture of my Pedersoli (Boss Rifle). This rifle would be a minimum for doing the long range BP shooting that you want to do.

I recommened the HighWall 's because you can get into a High Wall for a little less than the cost of a Sharp's rifle. Tom.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
750yd shot on a buffalo?

.416wby, I think 350grs @2800fps or so...

:user shaking head:
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

I own 3 BPCRs:
Shiloh #1 in 45-100 2.6"
Ballard High Wall "Special Sporting" in .45-90 2.4"
Ballard High-Wall "Special Sporting" in 40-70 2.4"

I used to compete pretty heavily in BPCR Silhouette, buffalo matches and an occasional 800, 900, 1000-yard match.

I’ve seen, shot, and competed against quite a few Pedersoli’s and for the money they are a very good bargain. An 1885 (High-Wall) has some definite competitive advantages over a "74" such as a faster lock time, it’s self-****ing, and the action is lighter which means you can add make weight easier in silhouette. But, for Buff matches and CAS, they just don’t fit I as well as a "74".

Sights are a whole other matter. I prefer MVA’s but you’d be looking at close to $1000 in sights for a front and rear. Like any other rifle though the sights are very important.

For a 1st time shooter, I’d recommend either a .45-70 or a .40-65. Both of these are pretty forgiving, whereas some of the larger caliber’s are a chore to learn to load for and to manage fouling.

A while nback I wrote an article on loading for BPCRs that was published in a magazine and has been hung on a couple websites. If you PM me with an Email address, I’d be glad to send you a copy.

Chuck
Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
:user shaking head:
I personally love the looks and feel of the Highwall, and I would own one if they weren't so expensive, one of these days I'll set aside money from my paychecks for a couple of months and take the plunge, I really can't think of a more classy rifle to ding steel at 500 yards with.

BTW Doe Dumper, don't mind "junior", He likes to post about things he knows little or nothing about