Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
22" VS 24" barrel...any "on game" performance difference??? >

22" VS 24" barrel...any "on game" performance difference???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22" VS 24" barrel...any "on game" performance difference???

Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

I don't understand why Ruger does this on their bolt action rifles. Is it necessary no, could it have an advantage yes.

20" barrels should stabilize any high power caliber out there. But the longer barrels stabilize magnum calibers even better. I prefer 26" barrels myself. I like the added fps. You can also down size the powder charge and achieve the same fps as some high velocity loads without kicking up the pressure initially. Most .25-.308 calibers average 30-40fps per inch of barrel. the difference between a 22" vs 26" barrel can be as much as 160fps. That's alot of gain using the same ammo. Especially for long range shooters. 200yds and under it's kinda pointless.

Alot of people complain about carrying the weight of the rifle around. I for one have never thought too much about it. I pack rifles miles upon miles in the mountains. It's all what you get used to I suppose. For those that shoot beyond that mark of 200yds probally prefer the extra barrel lenth.

On the other hand if I was only hunting in the woods or had fields less than 300yds, why would I need such a long rifle? It just wouldn't be as handy in the woods or a tree stand. I would think usage of the rifle would be the key.

I have a 270 Ruger #1 that someone cut down to 20" and it does just fine at longer ranges but I can tell the difference between the 270 Ruger #1 that has a 26" barrel on it. Especially in trajectory. It's truly day and night at 500yds.

If I was to pick a bolt action with a longer barrel I would opt for something else besides Ruger. I'm a die hard ruger fan but not in bolt actions. They need to step it up.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree the velocity loss wont amount to much but then again gaining velocity/energy is the only reason for buying a 7 magnum vs the std 7mm's in the first place.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
The 700 sps,xcr,and cdl are all 26" according to remingtons site. My sps SS 7mag was a 26''barrel
. the bdl is 24".
Exactly. I have a Stainless SPS 7mm RM with a 26" barrel. It's like carrying around a telephone pole. It don't see the mountains very often.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Spike

If you hunt in a brushy heavily wooded area sometimes the shorter barrel is nice. If you carry on a sling over your shoulder it wont get caught on as much stuff but will still be minimal. I looked at a 24" and a 22", the 22" just felt better in my hands and when pulling it up to my shoulder. So get which ever feels better to you!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Exactly. I have a Stainless SPS 7mm RM with a 26" barrel. It's like carrying around a telephone pole. It don't see the mountains very often.
The one I bought a few years ago was a pretty good rifle, it was accurate, and the fit and finish were nice.I really liked the matte stainless finish, and the R3 limbsaver pad. I sold it cause I realized a 7 mag is way more gun than I need, especially w/ ammo and reloading costs, these days. I also didnt like the Xpro trigger. Got a 700 mtlss 7-08, and I love it.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
The one I bought a few years ago was a pretty good rifle, it was accurate, and the fit and finish were nice.I really liked the matte stainless finish, and the R3 limbsaver pad. I sold it cause I realized a 7 mag is way more gun than I need, especially w/ ammo and reloading costs, these days. I also didnt like the Xpro trigger. Got a 700 mtlss 7-08, and I love it.
Very nice rig you got there!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

From the standpoint of Physics, a modest increase in velocity can mean a significant increase in kinetic energy of the bullet. The formula for kinetic energy is

KE = 1/2 x Mass x velocity^2

Therefore an increase in bullet mass of 10% with velocity held constant increases kinetic by 10%. However, with mass held constant an increase in 10% in velocity results in a 1.1^2 = 1.21% or a 21% increase in kinetic energy. The question is when does the bullet reach its terminal velocity in the barrel. Deerandbearhog's experiment seems to indicate that terminal velocity was reached by 24 inches. That does not mean you can assume you can get the same velocity out of a 22 inch barrel since the bullet might still be accelerating at 22 inches and does not reach its terminal velocity until somewhere between 22 and 24 inches.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Lemaitre
From the standpoint of Physics, a modest increase in velocity can mean a significant increase in kinetic energy of the bullet. The formula for kinetic energy is

Therefore an increase in bullet mass of 10% with velocity held constant increases kinetic by 10%. However, with mass held constant an increase in 10% in velocity results in a 1.1^2 = 1.21% or a 21% increase in kinetic energy. The question is when does the bullet reach its terminal velocity in the barrel. Deerandbearhog's experiment seems to indicate that terminal velocity was reached by 24 inches. That does not mean you can assume you can get the same velocity out of a 22 inch barrel since the bullet might still be accelerating at 22 inches and does not reach its terminal velocity until somewhere between 22 and 24 inches.
Well, most of us know this on this page. But what is your experience with the different barrel lengths? I myself find that with any gun using powder slower than RL22, a 26" barrel can get you an extra 100fps. Not a rule, as I have a dan lilja 22" 300WM that I get 3100fps with RL22 and 180gr pill.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Very nice rig you got there!
Thanks, heres a photo of it from last season. Its going to texas w/ me on a hog hunt, at the end of the month. its a great rifle to walk around w/. hardly know its there.

22" VS 24" barrel...any "on game" performance difference???-09-708-doe-006.jpg
sorry
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lemaitre

Somewhere the men who taught me to hunt must be rollin over in their respective graves.

Not far away deer are gathering and discussing the merits of only exposing themselves to hunters carrying rifles with 22" barrels.