Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning X-Bolt Question >

Browning X-Bolt Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning X-Bolt Question

Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning X-Bolt Question

This might be better suited in the new "gunsmith" section but I will ask here anyway.

Just picked up my new X-Bolt Hunter earlier this week. I am planning to adjust the trigger down and was wondering if it was possible to turn the weight adjustment screw too much? All the manual states is which way to turn it.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

One easy way to find out...adjust and test for feel/safety.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Spike

Removing the screw completly will give you the lightest setting wich is around 3-3.5 lbs.If its not light enough you can buy a replacement spring from these guy http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c2_p1.html.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tiwil
Removing the screw completly will give you the lightest setting wich is around 3-3.5 lbs.If its not light enough you can buy a replacement spring from these guy http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c2_p1.html.

So it is safe to completely remove the screw?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tests will tell. (1) Safety on, pull the trigger, release the safety. (2) solid hits to the gun with the safety both on and off. Unloaded, of course
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Spike

I bought the X bolt hunter and I thought it felt pretty crisp out of the box but this was also coming from a Win M94 30-30 so anything was going to feel great!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Spike

Default trigger pull

Did not remove screw. Loosened as far as i could. Trigger pull gauge went off at a little under 3.5 lbs. Good to hunt with. Trigger on my x-bolt actually got smoother the more i shot it. love the gun.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can afford a X-Bolt you can afford to have your smith do a basic trigger job on it (proud owner of a Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag).

I always have my smith do a trigger job and hand lap the barrel on all my rifles before I run the first round down the tube.

All my rifles shoot under 1" MOA after I break-in the barrel at the range (+/- 100-150 rounds); .17 HMR to .338 Win Mag.

Then they are "ready" to hunt with...............

I wish all my rifles were built like the X-Bolt !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-06-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
If you can afford a X-Bolt you can afford to have your smith do a basic trigger job on it (proud owner of a Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag).

I always have my smith do a trigger job and hand lap the barrel on all my rifles before I run the first round down the tube.

All my rifles shoot under 1" MOA after I break-in the barrel at the range (+/- 100-150 rounds); .17 HMR to .338 Win Mag.

Then they are "ready" to hunt with...............

I wish all my rifles were built like the X-Bolt !!!
My X-Bolt and a Tikka T-3 are the only factory rifles I own which did not need a trigger job, IMO. They only needed to be lightened.

Now to the original question, I wound up removing the screw completely and safety checked the rifle and all was well. My biggest concern is something getting in the trigger housing now that the scew is gone. I thought about covering the hole with a thin layer of silicon? Any other ideas?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
My X-Bolt and a Tikka T-3 are the only factory rifles I own which did not need a trigger job, IMO. They only needed to be lightened.

Now to the original question, I wound up removing the screw completely and safety checked the rifle and all was well. My biggest concern is something getting in the trigger housing now that the scew is gone. I thought about covering the hole with a thin layer of silicon? Any other ideas?
You should be able to buy a much shorter allen head set-screw at any decent hardware store that will just fill the threaded hole and then blue (not red!) loctite into place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.