Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
are there any easy fixes for a ruger no.1's accuracy >

are there any easy fixes for a ruger no.1's accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

are there any easy fixes for a ruger no.1's accuracy

Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default are there any easy fixes for a ruger no.1's accuracy

i picked up a ruger number 1 a little while back (dec.)and i finally got to play around with it. i have checked the usual things like tightening the screws, cleaning the barrel and i dont think its the scope since its a new leupold that can still "box track" a grouping. i also have tried 6 types of factory ammo but no handloads yet. i would have been happy with a 2 inch group but this thing can barely do 4. i dont want to do anything drasitc like bedding of sanding things down yet. i have tried using a plasic card as a washer for the forearm hanger to float the barrel and it seems to have only make the groups more uniform.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Ruger #1 has had accuracy problems since it first came out, some shoot very well and others shoot patterns. Here is a good link to some pretty easy fixes:

http://www.rvbprecision.com/shooting...e-ruger-1.html
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ask around the reloading section.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

What caliber are you having a problem with?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would go to the ruger forum website. The guys there live and breath these things. Are you bench resting? What is the caliber? I dont mean to offend by asking, but is flinching a problem? You might try having a friend who is a good shot (dont mean to say you arent) try it also for a group. You certainly want the barrel free floating.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

to answer some of your questions, its a 30-06, yes i shot from a bench rest, yes i let someone else shoot it and yes i have tried floating the barrel using a washer but it still had the contact point on the barrel up near the reciever. i have heard that bedding that area in combination to floating will make the gun group like a typical bolt action but im not ready to bed/sand/tamper with the gun yet as its a fairly pristine factory engraved model that still carries a store warrenty if i dont tamper with it (i will take advantage of that if i dont get it shooting)
Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b
its a fairly pristine factory engraved model that still carries a store warrenty if i dont tamper with it (i will take advantage of that if i dont get it shooting)
If you return it to Ruger, be advised that their warranty is for 3" groups at 100 yards.....They will honor the warranty but if it reaches 3".....you get it back.

There are smiths that specialize in accurizing the #1.....find one and pay him!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
If you return it to Ruger, be advised that their warranty is for 3" groups at 100 yards.....They will honor the warranty but if it reaches 3".....you get it back.

There are smiths that specialize in accurizing the #1.....find one and pay him!
Could you please point out where you find Ruger's "warrantee"?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

Pretty tough to believe you can't get it to shoot under 4" groups. Every Ruger No.1 I have will produce clover leaf groups at 100yds. Even the 375 h&h. One of the finest shooting rifles you can own for the price tag.

I will admit they can be tempermental to just shooting all kinds of different loads through them. For example my 22-250 so far only shoots four loads, two hand loads and two factory loads. All of them under 55gr bullets of course it has a 1in14" twist. I did shim the forend on that one (myself) using brass. But even though it didn't shoot as well as I wanted but it still shot under 2" groups until I found it's sweet spot loads. It now shoots holes in holes all day at 100yds.

I believe Ruger had the middle of the road guy in mind when they built these rifles. What I mean by this is medium weight bullet traveling at faster speeds. So far from what I've found Ruger No1's shoot medium to lightweight bullets better than heavier ones. I would go back and buy some 150-165gr loads and test those against the 180's. Then if it drops under 2". Learn how to reload that's where the Ruger No.1 shines is for reloaders. That rifle concept wasn't designed for a gunsmith to tinker with it.

The basic principle of the No.1 is so simplistic that you can't mess it up much. But by chance that rifle was made on a friday after noon. I have had bought identical pistols at the same time that didn't shoot. And a whole string of 22lrs for kids that some shoot some don't. Murphy's law ya know.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps an after market trigger like a Moyers or, better yet, Kepplinger single set would be beneficial. E. A. Brown can install them along with the Hicks accurizer. I also have heard about gents using Tubbs Final Finish on them (although I never did with my #1's) Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.