Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
222 Remington Magnum >

222 Remington Magnum

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

222 Remington Magnum

Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default 222 Remington Magnum

I just bought a 222 rem. mag and when I was picking it up a customer commented on good luck finding ammo. I did buy the last 6 boxes they had at the shop but am I going to have a real problem getting ammo and does anyone have suggestions as to where would be a good place to get shells. Thanks any info would help.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep....handload your own! i didnt realize there was a 222 MAG...but after looking real quick, i didnt see any being sold except on gunbroker...

definitely a good reason to think about handloading IMO...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

It is still being made but is un popular enough that it will be impossible to find on store shelves.
You could still buy it by mail order though. Id buy in bulk once you find a load you like or as Mauser06 said get into rolling your own.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Spike

midwayusa.com has some but they are nosler custom loads and are running $70.99/box! After buying those loads, it wouldnt take to long to have spent enough to have bought all your own reloading equipment
Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why did you buy the rifle ?

"Any difference in performance between the .222 Remington Magnum and the .223 Remington will fit neatly beneath one's fingernail without the slightest discomfort. This includes both velocity and accuracy capability."

"Today, it is a dying cartridge and shooters who own rifles in this caliber would be wise to stock up on cases and factory ammunition. "

Wish you good luck and have fun with it, but I would try to sell it if I could...........
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

What rifle is it ?

From a very long time handlaoder I see absolutely no reason not to own one.
For a non-loader its a costly beast to shoot.

From my prospective once I had a stock of brass its as cost effective to own as anything a guy could shoot. It also offers slightly better performance than the .223.

Depending on rifle brand it may be a good candidate for re-barreling to .223.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I found someone that said they would reload for me if I bought the materials.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

222 mag is what the 204 ruger is based off. I would not expect to find ammo on a local shelf but should have no problem buying it from Natchez , Midway, or Graffs.