Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which .45 to get? >

Which .45 to get?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which .45 to get?

Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which .45 to get?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research on getting my first centerfire handgun. I have a Ruger MkII/45 in .22 that I really like a lot, but want to buy a larger gun mostly for target shooting but also for personal protection.

I've shot a lot of different handguns at the range in 9mm, 40 cal and .45. I like a couple different 9mm's, but really want to go with the .45 - I just love shooting them. In the .45 I've only shot a Smith & Wesson & a 1911 clone.

I've narrowed it down to a 1911-style in .45 cal, but would like some opinions on who makes a good one, for a good price. My budget is $600 - $900 - so that rules out Kimber & some other high end ones. I'm thinking about Para Ordanace - they have some nice ones that are within my budget. Any other options out there? I'd love to hear from those who either own or have shot a 1911 that would suit me. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a bunch of different 1911's from Colts to Kimbers and I like the Smith & Wesson the best. It out shoots the Gold Cups and customs and will not rip the wallet out of your pocket. I spoke with a Smith Rep about it at an SCI Convention and he told me Smith did the CNC work on the slides and receivers and all of the other parts were Wilson or Brown. I wouldn't trade it for one of the high end 1911s (of which I have a couple!). Enjoy, 1911s are great!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

you could get a low end springfield (made in brazil) and use it as a project gun to build on.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have two Colts, and one Kimber. About every maker has good ones and bad ones. Colt has come a long ways in their quality. I would go with Colt, Kimber, S&W, or maybe even Springfield Armory. Wilson Combat makes about the best mags IMO for the 1911, specifically the 47D. One thing I will mention. Slide fit doesnt have that much to do with accuracy as it does reliability. Too tight a slide to frame fit can lead to a gun more prone to malfunctions from dirt, etc. Colts will often rattle if you shake them, however that is how JMB designed them, and my Colt will shoot just as accurate as my Kimber that doesnt rattle. So dont let that scare you from any one make. 1911forums is a good source of info btw.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

I wouldn't say you're out of the Kimber arena, or any of the other high-end one for that matter. Smart choice picking a 1911, especially since you have the 22/45, which shares the same grip angle as a 1911. You'll never regret buying a 1911. It boils down to bells and whistles. Good news is if you buy a basic model, you can build it up however you like. I would say to get as many upgrades as you can off the bat i.e. factory. Probably most important will be extended or ambi safety, extended grip safety, decent trigger and hammer group, and sights. Nice thing is that most of the bigger manufactures make loads of drop in parts. Biggest cost in 1911 upgrades is anything requiring machine or hand work. Sights, checkering, slide to frame fit, etc. Trigger jobs are another area. A gunsmith who cant do one correctly isn't a gunsmith.

Regardless how deep you go, make sure you start with a good base to build on, should that be your want. My suggestions for ones to look for include STI, Springfield, Kimber, Para, Wilson for starters. There are tons of smiths out there, you won't have any problem finding what you want.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
you could get a low end springfield (made in brazil) and use it as a project gun to build on.
No SA 1911's are made in Brazil. They are made here in the USA.

For your budget you can't go wrong with a 1911 loaded package.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nick,

That's one hell of a rig !!!

Is that you're CC piece.................LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot a few 1911's before I finally bought one. I love the 1911 and I am going against the grain here but, I bought a Taurus PT1911! Great price for a darn good gun! A Kimber, Brown or Colt it's not! But then again, neither is the price!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replies! I have some time before I'll have the $$$ saved up to buy it, so I'm going to be doing all the research I can & hopefully get to test shoot some more 1911's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.