Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Classic Sporter >

Winchester Classic Sporter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Classic Sporter

Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Classic Sporter

I am looking at a Winchester Classic Sporter 25/06 bolt action rifle. I have never owned a Winchester rifle. Can I get some input from everyone on the gun, its accuracy, the trigger pull, and anything else you liked or didn't. What really caught my eye when I first saw it was I thought it was a Sako by the look of the oiled stock. All the info I can get would help. Thanks alot.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The new Win Mod 70's (Columbia, SC) are quite nice. I've messed with several. The last one was a 30-06 and it shot right at 1". I'm eyeballing an EW (myself) right now. It puts to shame one I got from Conn. before they stopped production there.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It might shoot with the best of them out of the box ,and then again.................................Get it ,shoot it,decide for yourself.Most of my dealing with those guns were that to make them shoot to my personal standards I bedded mine and put a timney(sp) trigger in it.Now it will shoot with just about any thing I have.Actually it did not shoot bad to begin with.I'm just a trigger freak anyway.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Most of my experiance with Model 70's is the USRAC manufacture.
Accuracy was acceptable but not outstanding. Very much a hunter's rifle, as opposed to a bench rest rifle. Most of the actions were smooth. Like most rifle's, the factory trigger is set too heavy but could be adjusted.
My favorite thing about any Model 70 is the 3 position wing type safety.

I haven't seen or shot a new manufacture Winchester yet.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I got Winchester's most recent catalog ... and it doesn't list the .25-06 as an available caliber.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

This is a older model that is new in the box. Thanks for the input I am leaning towards buying.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the model 70 featherweight classic in 6.5x55 swede and 30-06 . They are both good shooters , I can't complain .
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have four of them....IMO they are as good as it gets.....but as said, they are hunting rifles.......not benchrest rifles.

That said.....with a bit of skill and work, they can be extremely good shooters too. Three of the four I own have shot three shot groups into the classic little clover leaf pattern......but none of them do it all the time.

The .25-06 is among the finest deer cartridges ever made.....stick it in a M-70 and you have quite a nice rig!