Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Kimber 84m Montana 243 >

Kimber 84m Montana 243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber 84m Montana 243

Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kimber 84m Montana 243

I have been holding onto some cash for a few months looking for a good all around rifle for hunting white tails and coyotes and that is alot of fun to take to the range. I came across a deal for new Kimber 84m Montana in 243. It is Stainless with synthetic stock and comes with the Kimber bases for $800. I handled it and have the cash. It is one of those situations that once I handled it, I knew I had to have it. It spoke to me. What do you guys think? I have read alot about the Kimber rifles and have found little negative comments on them, but I wanted to check here before I unload my cash.

I am pretty set on a 243 since I will start my 11 year old son shooting center fires with this rifle purchase. Just want input on the quality, accuracy, and price on this gun.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had two Kimbers. The last was a 84M Classic in .308. It shot well and looked great (nice wood). The previous one was a Montana in 7mm-08 I got for my wife. However, some seem to shoot great, some won't shoot for crap. I think Kimber's QC has suffered...at least early on. Some of the WSM's had feeding problems.The Montana's have blind magazines which are not my favorite. The triggers are decent, and they are certainly light and easy shooting. The actions are glass bedded but it's with a slave action...not the actual one. The Montana stocks are quite good but fugly...IMO. That price sounds pretty good. Maybe you'll win the Kimber lottery and get a shooter. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never owned a kimber rifle so take my opinion for what its worth but other than a remington 770, I have never read as much negative reviews about a rifle as I have kimber. on the other hand you almost never hear bad comments about brownings , I have a rem 700 and it leave me wanting nothing more, but I was looking at a stainless x bolt the other day at gander mt, wow what a nice gun! The new BARs are pretty nice too. 800 clams is alot of $ for most people, why gamble? JMHO good luck.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 for Browning's new X-Bolt, I wish all my rifles were that good !!!

Proud owner of a Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag..................full disclosure !
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Spike

if you fell in love with the rifle buy it 800 is a great price and if it doesnt shoot you could probably get close to that back out of it.. then again you might get a real tack driver. you never know. I have heard some major changes have been made at the kimber plant mostly due to quality control issues. I have read bad reviews just like everybody else but I have only seen one at the range and it shot cloverleaf groups. thing is when most people pay well over a grand for a kimber and it shoots 1.25-1.5 moa its a dog. a remington 700 that shoots 1.25 moa is a typical 700. either one can be tightened up with handloads atleast to some degree. the fit and finish is excellent on a kimber and the montana is 5 lbs 2oz if I'm not mistaken. I would buy it in a minute at that price. good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the Kimber. I am no expert shooter and got just under 1.25" 5 shot groups out of it with cheap remington 100gr ammo on a windy day at 100 yards. I bought this gun to hunt with and not shoot off of a bench and am more than happy with the accuracy. I will say that because it is so light any shooter error is greatly amplified. Could be a reason these are getting a bad rap for not being accurate. I absolutely love the fit, finish, and function. Wow...what a trigger. I am more than pleased with my purchase. I will have to say it is just about the best $800 I have ever spent. It is one of those guns that keeps you coming back to the gun cabinet through out the day so you can fondle it

Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Took it out to shoot again today with some cheap factory Winchester ammo in 100gr. My worst group was 1.5" with a flier, and the tightest was .75". All at 100 yards. This gun's accuracy is far better than I can shoot. Just thought I would update. I am still very happy with the purchase.

Now I am getting the reloading itch and I think I am going to have to scratch it.