Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How do I tell..... >

How do I tell.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do I tell.....

Old 01-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Spike

Default How do I tell.....

I have a Mossberg 5500 that says "non-magnum shells only", is there any sure way to tell if a shell is magnum or non-magnum? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do I tell.....

If you shoot low brass. The high brass are probably magnums. It should have magnum marked on them. If you stick with low brass you shouldn't have any problems.Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Normally shotgun barrels are stamped (2 3/4 in.) or (3 in.) and such. Is there a shell measurment on the barrel besides this "non-magnum... mark?
Old 01-25-2002, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should be on the side of a shotgun shell if it is a magnum .
Old 01-26-2002, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

hmmmm never heard that one before?? they usually say 2 3/4-3" shells only or sumthin of the sort...non magnums mean no duck goose and turkey loads...and ones that say MAGNUM on the sides....id just shot field loads out of it..rather be safe then sorry...it sounds like that gun had problems shoting mag. shells or sumthin...

mauser06
Old 01-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

They usually say only 2-3/4" but if it does say no magnum shells I would not buy the gun as any action that is not strong enough for magnum loads is too weak for me to trust.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Spike

I went back and checked the side of the shotgun and the owners manual again. The side of the barrel says "2 3/4 in. non-magnum shells only". The owners manual says that there are two barrels for this model, one for 2-3/4in non-magnum shells and another for 2-3/4 or 3 inch magnum shells. The gun is an auto-loader, so I assume it has something to do with the gas system not regulating itself. I got this shotgun from my uncle, and he got it from his girlfriend. I don't have the "magnum" barrel, so I can only shoot 2-3/4 inch non-magnum shells. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:30 AM

2 3/4 shells only means just that. You can shoot the short magnums just fine though. The chamber inthe barrel isn't cut for 3" shels to open fully and could cause the chamber area to bulge OR blow up if you shot a 3".
Old 01-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

no wolf if it ses nonmagnum you cant shot all 2 3/4 shells just regular loads...no turkey duck goose..any high brass id stay away from..anything thats not a field load...i would never bought the gun being of not much use to me and sounds unsafe...but idk the story

mauser06
Old 01-26-2002, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

High brass game loads are not magnum loads. They are two seperate things. I'd shoot 2 3/4 high or low brass shells.
If you don't know what shells you have, buy different ones. They are not expensive.
-Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.