Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mosin nagant for hunting >

mosin nagant for hunting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mosin nagant for hunting

Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont plan on getting a new stock and for a scope ill probably get a scout scope
Then you can really save some money. No drill and tapping or any need for a bent bolt. There are some good scout scope set ups that mount to the rear sight base. No gunsmithing required.

And I just love taking these ol military surplus rifles out hunting. Here is a hog I killed with a Finnish M-28 version of a Mosin Nagant. 203 grain Silver Bear bullet dropped him like a rock.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

They're good guns but the safeties leave alot to be desired for hunting.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Russian

at the front at Stalingrad did it with a military grade Mosin Nagant.

I have a picture of a Russian sharpshooter, Vassali Zaitsev, with a general admiring his scoped Mosin Nagant.

I think Zaitsev would have harvested many a deer, if they had been in range.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy a slug barrel for the 870.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Then you can really save some money. No drill and tapping or any need for a bent bolt. There are some good scout scope set ups that mount to the rear sight base. No gunsmithing required.
Thinking about getting this gun as well, but where can you get the setup mentioned here? http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=227 that's the model I want to get, and I'd like to get a scope setup that wouldn't require any gunsmithing, as I'm basically poor and have no prior experience with that type of stuff.

Anyone got any info? Sorry for bumping a dead topic, but I figured it was better to bump a topic with a relevant post, than it was to make a totally new one.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

TD....search for a mosin nagant scout mount online, plus a scout scope. It's like a 30 dollar mount or so, just pop the pins outta your rear sight, slide it off, and put the scout mount on.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

would it be worth it to buy one and sporterize it
I wouldn't give a dime for a truckload of them.

If you want a cheap rifle find a Mauser.....at least then you actually have something to build on later or something you can re sell later.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Find a Finn reworked one SA stamped or a model 39 and they will shoot better than the guy holding them.Many were reworked/barrelled by TIKKA and SAKO.......some have .308 bores as well.Simo Hayha a Finn sniper killed over 500+ Russians in the 105 day war with a 28/30 and open sights! One at 600 meters after being hit in the jaw himself later evacuated......................Harold
Old 11-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Spike

Yes it is worth it. If you take the time to find a good one and put a little tlc into it and this is a effective deer rifle. Dont waste your money on the scope mounts they offer online... There crap and rarely hold zero(minus those which are drilled and tapped). I dont like them because they require permanent modification. I think a better alternative is to simply remove the rear sight(theres a tutorioal on you tube showing how to do it). Beneath it you will find a 3/8" dovetail. This means the only money you need to spend is on a good scope and rings(an emphasis on the rings) the rest is just tlc and the right ammo.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Spike

Default mosin nagant for hunting

I realize this is an old thread...I came across it in a Google search and was interested in what people may have submitted. I thought I'd share my experiences messing with military surplus rifles that I buy after Bubba has had his way with them. If the bore is decent and the price cheap, I'll buy them and bring them back to life again as decent hunting rifles. Most have been Mausers of some sort and caliber, but also a few Mosins.

I own at least 6 Mosins...three of which are still in their original military condition...one an M44 and one is a 91/30 Hex and the other a round receiver 91/30. The other three I have turned into 2 "sporters" and a "fun shooter" The fun shooter is an M44 that kicks like a mule, still in it's original stock with bent bolt handle and an ATI scope mount (drilled/tapped) w/ a cheap $50, 3-9X40 scope and I installed a bolt-on muzzle brake w/2 tack welds after I was sure I had it lined perfectly w/the bore. I can shoot 2- 2.5 groups with surplus ammo all day long @ 200 yds with it. The two sporters were hex receiver 91/30s that I cut down to 22", recrowned and put in cheap ($55) Ramline stocks I found on Ebay, bent the bolts and pillared the stock, free floating the barrel in the process and again used ATI scope mounts with $50 scopes. Granted, I bought the scopes, mounts and stocks on Ebay(some used) because I wasn't willing to invest too much into rifles I didn't really expect much from upon completion, so my total investment in the "fun shooter" was about $125...and no more than $200 in the 2 sporters I built from hex 91/30s. Keep in mind I did all my own work as well in a fairly well equipped basement shop. My uncle was a retired USMC armorer who taught me most of what I've acquired as far as smithing acknowledge. He'd always introduce me as his "barnyard gunsmith nephew" when meeting his friends.

Both 91/30 came from J&G and had prisitine bores and much to my surprise, upon completion, they both shot 1 1/2" groups and better at 200 yds with S&B soft point, 180 gr ammo...better than the stock M44 and stock 91/30 using the same ammo at 100 yds. I credit this to the fact that they were cut from good 91/30 barrels, recrowned and pillared, as well as buffing the trigger to reduce the trigger pull. They shoot as good at 200 yds as my Marlin XL7 30-06 does for this 60 year old hunter. I've taken a half dozen whitetail between the two from 100-200 yards. There is a special feeling of satisfaction in putting meat on the table with a WW1 rifle that has an investment of sweat equity put into it.

The reason I decided to attempt the project in the first place, was due to something my brother-in-law (retired after 30 years from USMC)had told me while sharing some of his Vietnam experiences with me. He said the VC snipers were picking off US GIs using scoped (3.5 fixed powered) 91/30s from 500 yds plus...and I figured the Mosin had to be somewhere near accurate and with a little tweaking and careful buying after lots of searching, I've got myself a great truck gun and 2 great deer rifles for half the price I would pay for something off a shelf. Personally, I think the steel in a lot of these old milsurp rifles in far better than a lot of the new commercial rifles being produced today, that are selling for $400-$500.

Point of fact : I never discount the old milsurp rifles for use as hunting rifles for folks on a budget who hunt out of necessity in our present economy to help cut the grocery bill. If they have a good bore and with an investment of $30 for good ammo, you can put meat on the table.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.