Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need BAR Advice >

Need BAR Advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need BAR Advice

Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Need BAR Advice

Buddy bought a brand new BAR Longtrac in 30.06 Spr. Mounted on it a new Zeiss Conquest. Range testing has not been good. So far he has used only one ammo - Remington Express, Core-Lokt bullet, 165 gr. Not sure if they were from same lot.

All 3 shot groups are running about 6 MOA.

We checked the scope by trying out a known "good scope" and double checked scope mounting system. Same results - 6 MOA +/-.

He has bought 7 different factory ammo loads for our next trip to the range. Any more suggestions short fo tossing this rifle into the nearest riuver?

I have read about forearm locking nut torque being an issue, but have not found the recommeded torque numbers other than a 45#-65# spread.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt get too worked up if it doesnt shoot one load very well. I would start getting concerned if that happens on 2 or 3 more loads. Every gun is an individual and will NOT group certain loads. Now if it does this with all the other loads you are gonna try then its time to get mad but I will bet at least one of them and probably 3 or 4 will shoot acceptably well for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably dont like them shells.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try both Federal Power Shok soft points and Federal Fusions. I have a older BAR. The ones before the Safari ones. I tried shooting Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips in it and it was all over the target. A 6" group would have probably been a good group for them. I got frustrated but tried some others. Remington Core Lokts didn't group much better but a little maybe. I had a 8" target and the shots were all over it. I then tried some Winchester Soft Points which were slightly better but still not great. I then tried Federal Fusions and my groups shrunk down to about 1.5"-2". Not that's not great but it's a lot better than being all over a 8" target.

I later tried Federal Power Shoks and they seem to have either the same or very close to same POI as the Fusion and I get almost as good of groups with them. The first time I shot them I got a 3" group where I got a 2" one with the Fusions. However, at $14 a box vs $30 a box I thought that was fine for hunting. When I shot it this year I shot a 5 or 6 shot group with a flier or two I can't remember and the rest were touching. I've gotten several groups that were within 2" with the Power Shoks. I've stuck with them.

My experience with these guns has been that they just aren't that accurate. I mean I like them a lot for hunting and for hunting they are plenty accurate but I'm not sure they are a moa gun. At least mine doesn't seem to be. I've read reports where guys on here claim theirs are moa or sub moa guns but I've also read quite a few like mine where guys say 2" groups or so is about the best they can do with factory loads.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

This isn't a boss model is it?

I'd give 150gr and 180gr a try

my BAR shoots sub MOA
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

You arent mentioning how you are sighting it in. You want to be sure you are sighting it in from a benched rest, padded sand bags, etc. Make sure you are wearing a good heavy jacket, wearing ear protection, etc. I see alot of folks at the range still getting upset over thier crappy groups, when they are blasting away off hand.
Be sure to give the bore a good scrubbing with a good bore cleaner after all that shooting,dry, and fire a fouling shot. Pace your shooting. All semi, pump, etc. guns are sensitive to heating. Although seldom noticeable when hunting, at the range it is. Fire, wait a few minutes for the barrel to cool and fire the next one. Sure it takes time, but what of it? you are trying to get it right. Make sure the shooter isnt getting flinchy. Even the "tough guys" start to after awhile.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
You arent mentioning how you are sighting it in. You want to be sure you are sighting it in from a benched rest, padded sand bags, etc. Make sure you are wearing a good heavy jacket, wearing ear protection, etc. I see alot of folks at the range still getting upset over thier crappy groups, when they are blasting away off hand.
Be sure to give the bore a good scrubbing with a good bore cleaner after all that shooting,dry, and fire a fouling shot. Pace your shooting. All semi, pump, etc. guns are sensitive to heating. Although seldom noticeable when hunting, at the range it is. Fire, wait a few minutes for the barrel to cool and fire the next one. Sure it takes time, but what of it? you are trying to get it right. Make sure the shooter isnt getting flinchy. Even the "tough guys" start to after awhile.
Good point I forgot to mention my groups really open up after about 3 shots in a row. I shoot 2 at a time then let it cool for anywhere to 5-15 minutes. Until the barrel is cool to the touch. I only shoot 2 at a time when sighting in.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the good info.

No BOSS system. I did not assist in the sight-in process, so I cannot attest to any of the the details. I will help sight-in next time. I do know the two used a "lead shed" and Core-Lokt, 165 gr. Probably from different lots. Meanwhile I will clean the rifle and gently lap the barrel.

By the way, the Browning tech guy wasnot familiar with a torquing spec for the forearm nut.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you all get this worked out?