Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun safe information >

Gun safe information

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun safe information

Old 02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun safe information

Folks, i am looking to purchase a safe tommorow. i am going with the Browning. i live in western oregon, which is of course humid and wet. do to space options, i have chosen to put this in my garage. my question is this. even if i have a nice dehumidifier system, will i have issues with rest? now i am still looking at dehumidafier systems, so by all means pony up any suggestions. thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Got two safes (Canon and an American Security Products) and I have Golden Rods in both. I'm in Northern California, not as damp as you but close, and I haven't had any problems. A dessicant can might be a good addition to the dehumidifier if you're nervous.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Got a Golden Rod in mine also, and it works great. My safe is still in SE tenn, and it is very humid in the summer. No problems so far after 3 years of use.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I have ever used is a heat rod in my safes and I live in western Oregon . No moisture problems of any kind .
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Goldenrod. My safe is in my basement here in W.PA., and it gets quite damp in the summer. Never had a problem in the 12 or so years I've had it. Mine is an American Security (AMSEC) also....Used a dessicant in it for a short time with the Goldenrod and found the rod was doing a good enough job by itself.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman View Post
Another vote for the Goldenrod. My safe is in my basement here in W.PA., and it gets quite damp in the summer. Never had a problem in the 12 or so years I've had it. Mine is an American Security (AMSEC) also....Used a dessicant in it for a short time with the Goldenrod and found the rod was doing a good enough job by itself.
Very good choice on AMSEC.....
Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Goldenrod in my safe and I also added a couple low wattage light bulbs.I burn the bulbs 24/7 along with the GR. I lived in Florida for years with high humidity. Never a rust problem.Make sure if you put your safe on a unfinished concrete floor you put a barrier between the floor and the safes base.I highly suggest bolting it down.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

picked up the browning. pretty nice safe. the lights, mirror, and door rack are the nice things i like