Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 788 .243 factory loads >

Remington 788 .243 factory loads

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 788 .243 factory loads

Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Spike

Default Remington 788 .243 factory loads

I have had all kinds of trouble finding a factory load that this rifle likes. It is about 30 years old. I had found the Black Hills Gold with the 95 gn. Nosler Ballistic Tip that it liked, then now I can't find them anymore.

Anyone shoots this model? I have almost tried everything but reloading.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I find that the Hornady 95 grain SST bullet shoots a lot like Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Black Hills now loads that in .243 instead of the Ballistic Tip. Federal still loads a 95 grain Ballistic Tip.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Try the 85 grains Federal BTHP.. or the Barnes TSX
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try toying with the rifle...say, dab the lug, and float the rest. A gun oughtn't be THAT picky
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Spike

When I spoke to the gunsmith, which was when I did the rest of the work on that little gun, he told me that the reason was due to the model not liking a high velocity round and the way the lugs are on this rifle. He said the lugs are rear locking lugs. He said I was wasting my time on trying to make the gun more accurate and I should get rid of it.

The problem is that the gun was my first rifle which I have been handing it through my kids....too many memories to get rid of it and too important to stop making memories with it.

I will try more rounds in it...thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought, but the 788 has a reputation of being very accurate (I had one once in 308 and it was excellent). I'd have it looked at by another gunsmith before I got rid of it. That gun was literally too accurate for remington. It was discontinued because people realized its accuracy and too many were buying it over their more expensive models. Those rear lugs and a thick receiver mean they tend to drive tacks. I'd be very careful about getting rid of it without a second opinion and scrutinizing the scope, mounts, etc.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

I don't plan on getting rid of it. I have Redfield rings and scope mounts, Leopold scope. I plan on putting a new trigger, floating the barrel and trying to find a load it likes. I was just curious what you guys thought.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by As I Please
Do you even believe your own nonsense?!!? That is HYSTERICAL!

The 788's bane is lug setback(headspace woes),a poor fire control system,shoddy handle and protruding magbox. They were/are a cheapskate offering,less a single redeeming quality,excepting perhaps your contrived Fantasies.

"Too accurate for remington"...I'm cryin'!!!!!!!!
Everything I wrote is well-documented. Do some reading and you will find every point I made about the rifle printed multiple times--and that does not include whatever might be said on the internet. That's not to dispute anything you assert about the rifle, btw.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you look into the Federal custom loads? They of a variety of bullets: Sierra Gamekings,Hornady,Speer,Barnes Triple shock & a few others I cant think of.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 788 I have in .243 will shoot anything.For factory loads I believe it liked Federal Premium BTSP in 100 grain or the Hornady custom in 100 grain.Hand load it likes the 85 grain Game King hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.