Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What does +P mean?(as it pertains to ammo of course) >

What does +P mean?(as it pertains to ammo of course)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What does +P mean?(as it pertains to ammo of course)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
The 40S&W is not what I would call a high pressure cartridge. It operates at the same MAP of 35,000 psi. that the 9mm and .357 magnum operate at.
You're defining "high pressure" differently. The 40S&W is typically loaded right up to the max; that is not why there is a real "+P" version, it's already maxed out. Apparently after doing some reading it appears the few "+P" loadings are ABOVE max.

Conversely, the other loadings you mention do not typically operate at max. A 9mm not labeled "+P" is not 35,000 PSI. So there is more room for error if for example a standard 9mm round has a bit of bullet set-back from being chambered multiple times.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, i have shot 38 +p in my 357. The 357 is quite stout so a plus p 38 should be fine. i would make sure you firearm doesn't specifically say NO PLUS P. But you should have no problem.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're defining "high pressure" differently.
I am not defining anything.

SAAMI defines what the MAP is for each cartridge not me.
SAAMI defines that a 40, 9mm and .357 all have a MAP of 35,000psi.
SAAMI also defines that a 9mm+p load operates at 38,500 psi.
SAAMI does not define a pressure for a 40+p nor a 9mm+p+.
Apparently after doing some reading it appears the few "+P" loadings are ABOVE max.
All +p loadings are above MAP set for a standard loading. A proof load is 130% of the standard load. This is what is determined to be the limit of the cartridge. SAAMI only lists +pressure loads for a few cartridges but for the few that it does... a +p load is 10% above what is set for a standard load. As there is no official +p+ load all one can do is guess that is somewhere between a +p load and a proof load. Probably 15-20% above a standard load.
Conversely, the other loadings you mention do not typically operate at max.
How do you know what each cartridge operates at?
Do you have access to test barrels and a piezo equipment?

So in essence it would be o.k. to shoot .38 special +p ammo out of a .357 magnum as the pressure would be close to the same as a magnum round or at least within the safe limits,right?
This is correct. All 38 special loads are at lower chamber pressures than 357 magnum loads.

Here is a short list of the more popular cartridge pressures as set by SAAMI.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I am not defining anything.

SAAMI defines what the MAP is for each cartridge not me.
SAAMI defines that a 40, 9mm and .357 all have a MAP of 35,000psi.
SAAMI also defines that a 9mm+p load operates at 38,500 psi.
SAAMI does not define a pressure for a 40+p nor a 9mm+p+.
All +p loadings are above MAP set for a standard loading. A proof load is 130% of the standard load. This is what is determined to be the limit of the cartridge. SAAMI only lists +pressure loads for a few cartridges but for the few that it does... a +p load is 10% above what is set for a standard load. As there is no official +p+ load all one can do is guess that is somewhere between a +p load and a proof load. Probably 15-20% above a standard load.
How do you know what each cartridge operates at?
Do you have access to test barrels and a piezo equipment?

This is correct. All 38 special loads are at lower chamber pressures than 357 magnum loads.

Here is a short list of the more popular cartridge pressures as set by SAAMI.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm
You are "defining" as it is quite clear we are using the terminology differently (hence different definitions).

A gun designed for standard, say, 9mm ammunition is rated for 35k. +P ammuntion should not be used in these guns. There are therefore not "high pressure" rounds because in a gun designed for +p ammunition the round can handle much higher pressure. Standard and +p ammunition, by definition, reach different pressure threshholds and the standard ammo is not "high pressure" (by my definition).

A .40 is designed for 35k and, while I do not have test barrels and associated electronics, those that rate factory ammunition and write reloading manuals do. Standard .40 ammo is typically loaded up near this and therefore uses the full spec pressure of the gun -- "high pressure" by my definition. If you are "+p" in a .40, despite there being no standard definition of this, what you are saying is that the ammo is beyond the design specification of the firearm.

Standard 9mm and 38 loads do not approach the rating of modern guns, so they are not "high pressure". Standard .40 loads do so they are "high pressure". Hope that makes sense to you.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks folks for all the info and for helping a brother out,ya know there are times that I really like this whole internet thingy
Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

some info for you http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm any round that has more psi then what is listed is a +p,there can be only one pressure listed for SAAMI.

Last edited by snuffynra; 01-24-2010 at 05:15 AM.