Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

375 h&h

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

sure statjunk,its a great big bear gun, many guides for the biggest of bears choose the 375 as there stopping rifle,many think its overkill.many think its very good on moose,elk caribou and any other thing you are comfortable shooting.its just a great all around meaty caliber.i think too many people get caught up in the which caliber is best THING.there is NO best ,only opinions .the 375 is like a old 65 mustang or vette...it its a great old classic, is it the best? no but lots just want to have one.... the ruger and other 375s are just as good if not better in there fields but as a 2009 mustang(which my wife has) is not a 65 mustang,some will say any other 375 is not a h&h....its just one of those things..
Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wonder how many folks are buying 375 H&H for hunting white tails. My understanding of this cartridge is pretty much what others have posted here.

I guess I shouldn't talk since I hunt white tails with a .300 WM.

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

LOL i have used the 300 for whitetails for years,it is one of my favorite rifles. wheeew im not the only one !!! i dont think many buy the h&h for deer,but once you buy your first big game rifle 270 and up, all the rest you buy cause you want to ,not because you need to. same with fishing ,you cant catch bass with a walleye pole?.....everyone knows that ...right???
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
It is the lightest cartridge that is truly usable (and legal) for dangerous game in Africa. The recoil is not much worse than a .338 WM and it will shoot a 300 grain solid or soft point flat enough that it is practical for long shots on plains game. It is a very good Cape Buffalo round and is perfect for the large cats. It also sees a lot of use for the large bears of this world. Ammo for this old round can be found everywhere.
If I had one rifle for worldwide hunting it would be chambered in .375 H&H.

This is correct and yes it is an awesome Whitetail round I have used in KY for several years. And yes I own a beautiful Ruger # 1 in this cartridge and It is as a great cartridge here in the North American country and Africa and anywhere else.
Very versiable cartridge PERIOD!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by statjunk
I just wonder how many folks are buying 375 H&H for hunting white tails. My understanding of this cartridge is pretty much what others have posted here.

I guess I shouldn't talk since I hunt white tails with a .300 WM.

Tom
Perhaps it helps fill the fantasy some have to hunt brown bears, or dangerous game in africa, or some plan to at some point, but for now they want to test it out on whitetails.

I read that a .375H&H will cause less meat damage on a whitetail than a .270win will, and I suspect less than a .300win.mag would as well.

I have read some elk articles with mention of people using them with 270gr bullets, or even lighter bullets nowadays like 250 or 260gr etc...

Once a guy has a .223, .270, .300win.mag, sounds like a logical next step up as well...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Perhaps it helps fill the fantasy some have to hunt brown bears, or dangerous game in africa, or some plan to at some point, but for now they want to test it out on whitetails.

I read that a .375H&H will cause less meat damage on a whitetail than a .270win will, and I suspect less than a .300win.mag would as well.

I have read some elk articles with mention of people using them with 270gr bullets, or even lighter bullets nowadays like 250 or 260gr etc...

Once a guy has a .223, .270, .300win.mag, sounds like a logical next step up as well...
Yeah I could see that with the fantasy. Though the costs are so high most folks just can't afford it.

I need to check a reloading manual. Just don't see how that much lead would cause less meat damage. Any chance you have any articles/forum discussion etc.. that talk about this.

Your post prompted my post, but not for any reason but to learn. I've seen 375 H&H rifles listed for sale and they seem to go fast. Recently on longrangehunting they had a Winchester and it went in a few days.

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an old Heym double in 375 H&H that was left to me with an abundence of cartridges. I mean thousands.

It does a good job on the local squirrels, rabbits and crows. Although some of the larger, tougher squirrels require a second shot.

Last edited by uncle matt; 01-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I need to check a reloading manual. Just don't see how that much lead would cause less meat damage. Any chance you have any articles/forum discussion etc.. that talk about this.
The reason is that the bullets are typically very tough and do not violently explode, sending shrapnel every where, on a white tail deer like a ballistic tip (or similar) from a .270 will. They barely expand at all but with a bullet with that large a diameter it doesn't need to expand to turn the insides to jello.

While I do not own a .375 (hopefully soon) I do own a 338RUM and used it to take a whitetail doe at about 75 yards. I was using 250 grain Swift A-Frames and the meat damage was very minimal because the bullet simply punched straight through with out expanding much if any at all. There was a very small hole going in and a hole about the size of a quarter coming out.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

I thought a 270 was overkill for whitetails, 375 H&H is just plain stupid. You're not gaining a single thing. Zero, zilch, nada.....might as well use FMJ's in whatever your hunting now, cause all the H&H is going to do is poke a hole in them..
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought a 270 was overkill for whitetails, 375 H&H is just plain stupid.
Why is what someone else uses to hunt deer with stupid? Are they going to kill them too dead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.