Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me choose a scope!! >

Help me choose a scope!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose a scope!!

Old 06-10-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Help me choose a scope!!

I' m getting my first muzzleloader and am trying to decide what scope to get for it. Being new to muzzleloading and on a budget I' m getting an entry level rifle and will equip it with an inexpensive scope.

Before everybody tells me " you get what you pay for" and how much better the expensive scopes are please try to keep a budget under $100 and help me find the best scope within that price range. I' m not looking for the best scope out there, just the best one under $100. Here are the scopes I' m considering, all in 3x9x40mm.

Simmons 8 point.
Tasco World Class.
Bushnell Trophy or Banner.

Please tell me why you prefer one over the other. I' m in Iowa where shotguns are about all I' ve ever used so scopes are pretty foreign to me. Thans for your help!!

Old 06-10-2003, 11:45 PM

Default RE: Help me choose a scope!!

If you are used to using a shotgun for deer, then I assume you' ll do well with iron sights. Use the iron sights this year and bank the funds to get a new quality scope next year or buy a used one on the internet with an escrow.

EKM
Old 06-11-2003, 04:37 AM

I' ve found the Bushnell Trophy to be a good scope within it' s price range.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wouldn' t spend a dime on any of those. Either save your money and get a better scope, or if you are deadset on getting one now on a limited budget, look at Sightron. You can get a 3x9x40 S1 for anywhere from $125-$150 depending on where you get it. It is definitely a few notches above the one' s you have listed. Good luck
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 AM

I' ve never heard of Sightron before. Why aren' t they more popular if they' re supposedly a good scope, or at least a good value?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:33 AM

I HAVE A 3X9X40 TASCO WORLD CLASS ON MY KNIGHT .50 CAL. AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. I HAVE SWIFT AND LEUPOLD SCOPES ON MY 30-06S.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

First choice in your price range would be a Swift and then Tasco World Class...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:54 AM

First things first IMO stay far, far away from the Tasco or Trasco as it is known on this site. I have a Simmons 8-pt on a .223 Rem and it is fair to marginal. I plan on replacing it. Now with the recoil of a muzzleloader I am not sure if it would survive.
The higher priced Bushnells are good scopes, but I would rather have the cheaper $$$$$$ Leupold or Burris. I have a Bushnell Banner on a 12ga slug gun and I have to re-set the zero every 20 rounds or so, is this a problem, no but it is not good either. Anyway to the point if you have a budget of around $100 I would try to scrape together $79 more $$ and get a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40. Check out www.midwayusa.com
Old 06-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a couple buddies who use the Bushnell Trophy on ML' s and are happy. I have another buddy who had a banner and since replaced it with an elite 3200, due to not holding zero for extended periods of times. My neighbour uses the simmons whitetail classic (i believe) on his gonic and seems pleased. I personally have used leupold fixed and bushnell elites(3200 & 4200) and they have been equally reliable on my ML' s.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:43 PM

I think the Trophy is probably the best choice of the scopes you have mentioned. The optics are surprisingly good for such a cheap scope. Cannot speak for the durablility on the muzzleloader as I have mine on a .22 LR

Quick Reply: Help me choose a scope!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.