Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shelf life of ammunition ?? >

Shelf life of ammunition ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shelf life of ammunition ??

Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Shelf life of ammunition ??

Specifically shotgun ammo, shot and slugs. Why I ask is I own an old Ithaca 16 ga. (old but mint/ shoots great) and finding 16ga anything isn't always the easiest. I've found it in a few places recently and am wondering if I take advantage and stock up how long can it sit around? All advice and opinions appreciated, Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default indefinately

when stored in a constant environment
Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

If the ammo is kept in a clean, dry environment, it has a very long shelf life. I have never heard of the manufacturers stating one, but I have store bought shotgun shells well over 25 years old (shot size seldom used, etc) that performs as best I can tell as new. Ducks I shot last week end didnt know the difference with shells I bought in 82. (I dont get out much for ducks- obviously) .I have used up mid 1950s production powder and primer reloading components that functioned as new. Of course, if left in a high humidity environment, dirt, exhaust fumes, etc. factors could change.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Thanks Guys,

I know I'd seen shells and such in my grandfathers gun cabinet years ago when he used to let me paw around that I knew were very old and still usable and was pretty sure your replies would be what they are but I just wanted to make sure. Again, Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

If you don't mind ordering ammo, Midway USA can hook you up bigtime. Ammo will last a good long time. I got a good stock of Remington "shur shot" that is over 30 years old and is fine....
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Ammo stays potent for a long, long time. For example, last year I was looking through some old gun stuff and found five paper cased 12 ga. Foster slugs--3 Remington (green), 2 Peters (blue). I know that they had to be from the early '50's when I last hunted deer with shotgun slugs. They probably would have been worth something to a collector, but I wanted to see if they were still ok. So, one day, when were going up on the hill to my range, we brought along a shotgun and the 5 slugs. Not only did they all fire, but they made a 3" group from the bench at 50 yards. The recoil was even more brutal than I remembered.

Last edited by keyshunter; 01-08-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Store it in those military green ammo cans and it will last longer than most of us.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Still...it is a good idea to burn up the older ammo first, of course.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got some 8 X 56R that shoots in a Steyr Model 95 Mannlicher. It is Nazi headstamped with the year 1936.

I've never had a misfire, hangfire, squib, or any other performance problem.

It came packaged in double layer cardboard boxes already in the loading clips.

So, to answer your question, .. if stored correctly my experience is that shelf life is at least 74 years!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I qualified for my CCW permit using some of my reloads from 1984. They were as good as the day I loaded them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.