Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 * Best choice??? * >

* Best choice??? *

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

* Best choice??? *

Old 06-10-2003, 07:44 PM

Default * Best choice??? *

I' m having a hard time on which rimfire to go with. I' m debating on whether to get a Remington model 597 or a Ruger 10/22. I' m looking for accuracy. Will you guys help me out on which one you think is more accurate? Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: * Best choice??? *

You bet I can help. I can save you pain, headaches and frustration by telling you to stay far, far away from the Remington 597. It is total junk with a capital J. The trigger is terrible, the action is like a sand trap at a golf course and it jams frequently. The best bet is a Ruger 10/22. You can' t go wrong with one of those. Accurate, dependable and if you want to customize it there are all sorts of accessories. I built one not long ago with a Power Custom hammer and sear, a Fajen thumbhole stock and an Adams and Bennett target barrel. I had it at the range the other day and you really couldn' t ask for a better 22 LR. Again, my advice is no matter what you get stay away from the Remington 597.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger and don' t look back
Old 06-10-2003, 09:57 PM

Well if I had to buy one today it would be neither of those. Granted I have a 10/22 and love it, a great project gun. But if I wanted to buy a straight out of the box tack driver then the T/C Benchmark classic would be the gun....

http://www.tcarms.com/22benchmark/index.html

I had the chance to do some shooting with the T/C Classic last year and fell in love. I really like the idea of the Benchmark, it has everything already, heavy barrel, fancy stock and good looks.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually this debate is between the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Mod-60...nice change of pace I guess, but I usually like debating on two equally matched arms, which the 597 and the 10/22 aren' t, in the Marlin vs. Ruger debate, I' d recommend the Marlin, because you get the same performance, if not better depending on individual rifle, with half the price...only advantage is the detachable magazine, which isn' t an added bonus to me at all, and definately not worth an extra $100-150!

I agree with the frizz on the remington, not worth the steel they wasted to build them...older ones, like the one a buddy of mine' s ol man has, shoot accurately, maybe as accurately as a base 10/22, but they still had the reliability problems that have only gotten worse. If anone gave me one, I' d sell it to the first fool I came across, and give him a fake name so he couldn' t find me later, I wouldn' t waste money on one for sure!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Ruger 10-22 in stainless .
Old 06-25-2003, 11:25 AM

Ruger 10/22T (T for Target). Not impressed with the Rem 597.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:09 PM

hux, u know what to do, go and win a free one at the pheasants forever banquet like i did, it is the only and best way! see u around hux, who_else
Old 07-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have Rem and Rugers which I like very well but I have a CZ that will out shoot both.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington 597 is pure TRASH!
It is not even close to a Ruger or Marlin! The 597 isn' t even suitable for a door prop, paperweight, or troutline anchor! Stay far away from the 597!!!!!!

Quick Reply: * Best choice??? *

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.