Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
building a custom rifle >

building a custom rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

building a custom rifle

Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've restocked and bedded 98's with rebarreled actions. They functioned well, and shot decent. Would I do it again for myself? Nope. Too much bother when for equal or less investment you can get excellent lightly used high-end rifles, or a brand new CRF of your choice. JMO........
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bradc
Hey Guys. I have a few quick questions. I'm building a custom rifle on a mauser action. How much will a gunsmith charge me to resize my action to make it feed a different caliber? And what do i do about a a magazine. I want a simple internal magazine, if i have a mauser action what else will i need, if anything? The caliber im going with is the good ol 30'06 incase that helps with anything. Thanks im new to this custom rifle stuff so bear with me
You will have nothing to change going from a 7 or 8mm to a 30-06, feed ramps, boltface, even the mag box will need no alterations. Your money will be spent by truing the action, polishing the feed ramps, lapping the lugs, getting a barrel and having it installed and chambered, changing out the safety, changing out the trigger, changing out the stock, having it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, scope mounts and scope, having it refinished, and also so many more things you can do to it to list, thats your basics. When its done, if done right, you should have a shooter, you will have a one of a kind though. Myself, the next one I build, Im going to one of those off the wall calibers, like a 8-06, 6-06 or ?, havent figured it out yet. This is one that I havent sold, its in 300 Win Mag.
Attached Thumbnails building a custom rifle-dsc00242.jpg   building a custom rifle-dsc00241.jpg  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Spike

wow had no idea it was that complicated. this is more of something to keep me busy and to personalize to my needs so i understand it will cost as much or more than a production rifle. maybe i will build on a remington 700 action insted. less smith work.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Spike

and thanks for interpreting my terrible description of what i am trying to do lol
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question I did this too, back in the day!

I did this pretty much "on the cheap", with a .270 Browning barrel that came off a gun a guy changed to a .300 mag. I had an Argentine Mauser with the nicer floorplate, and I got a French Walnut stock that I did myself as I did pretty much stock work for 2 shops at the time. Ended up with a beautiful, nicely checkered, heavy (8+ pounds bare) gun that had mediocre accuracy, compared to the guns I already had. I was not aware that anyone was still really doing this, since the value of military mausers increased so much since the '70s and '80s. If you really want a mauser, a used gun would be less expensive and involved. I recently saw the Remington 798, which I never knew they made. Interesting, but still a little heavy. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.