Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Marlin XL7 25-06 >

New Marlin XL7 25-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Marlin XL7 25-06

Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

half a box of 30.06 loads and my simmons was garbage. spent the money on a nikon buckmaster and havent looked back, GREAT quality scope for the money
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

actually i got a really good deal on a VX1. After many people saying don't waste your money on a VX1, i couldn't pass it up. Got it new for 160. It's a fantastic scope. It's better than my nikon prostaff, pentax pioneer II. Great eye relief and bright. 3x9x40 is what i have on my marlin xl7. People who say the vx1 is junk must just be scope snobs.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll do fine with the VX-1.
Enjoy your new rig!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Leupold VXII 3x9. Pretty much the scope that's on just about every hunting rifle out there.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
actually i got a really good deal on a VX1. After many people saying don't waste your money on a VX1, i couldn't pass it up. Got it new for 160. It's a fantastic scope. It's better than my nikon prostaff, pentax pioneer II. Great eye relief and bright. 3x9x40 is what i have on my marlin xl7. People who say the vx1 is junk must just be scope snobs.
I'm not a scope snob I just had a VX-I and it sucked. I had to send it in to Leupold twice for repair. The first time when I shot it looked like the crosshairs were shaking in it. The second time it was self adjusting itself every couple shots. Even when it works it seems like if you bump it hard or anything it looses zero. Like I had the scope hit me in the fore head and next shot it's several inches off from where it had been shooting. I had it fall over in the house on carpet and in a gun sock and it once again was several inches off. I've had others have much harder hits and falls and they have never lost zero.

I also think the friction adjustments are about the crappiest scope invention I've ever seen.

That's what made me not like this scope. However, I will admit I thought you know maybe I got a lemon.

I had 2 other friends that also had them. Turns out one of them said he loved his and the other one started also having problems with his adjusting itself with shots. They said it would shoot one spot then adjust to somewhere else and shoot there then keep adjusting itself and wouldn't stay zeroed. They put a Bushnell on it and shot a group you could cover up with a dime. He sent his into Leupold for repair and traded it off as soon as it came back.

The other friend who loved his just got it last year on a muzzle loader. He only shot it a few times and thought it was great. Then this year he shot his muzzle loader a day or two before black powder season. Shot great still. So he cleaned it and went on his way. On the first day of black powder season we were helping a friend sight his gun in at lunch. He decided to take his out and show us how great it shot. To his surprise and mine as well since I'd seen it shoot great a day or two earlier it didn't even hit the target at 100 yards this time. We got to doing testing and shooting at closer differences. He hadn't dropped it or bumped it or anything he says. So we finally got it back on the target then it was apparent that it was adjusting itself after each shot and wouldn't stay zeroed. So no longer does he love this scope either. He is trying to sell the gun and the scope together. He uses a Simmons on his other rifle and never has had a problem with it.

To me this is just unacceptable for a $200+ scope. After seeing my other two friends had the same exact issue I had with mine I don't think it's that I just got a lemon. I really think it's that this scope sucks.

As for as being bright and clear I thought it was fine but I couldn't tell a difference clarity wise between it and a $30 Tasco I had form Walmart. A few friends checked it out and they thought the Tasco looked clearer. I just couldn't tell a difference though. I never had a problem with the clarity of either though. Then I got a Burris Fullfield II and it was amazing how much brighter and clearer it was. In low light it's soo much better. I now realize why people like clear and bright scopes. It's a huge difference to me and the friend that compared them while I was sighting it in agreed. The Burris looked amazing compared to the Leupold. Like I said thought I'd never had a problem with the clarity of the Leupold and thought it was fine and didn't realize how much better a scope could be until I tried the Burris. That isn't why I think these scopes suck though. That's just kind of icing on the cake. The reason I really didn't like them is all the problems we had with them where they wont hold zero. Then the fact that you can get a cheaper scope that will hold zero and is way clearer just makes me like it even less.

The Burris and Simmons and even the Tasco I've used have also held up more to being bumped around and still staying zeroed than the Leupold. I've also not had any of them fail *knock on wood* however, the Leupold which cost quite a bit more than all but the Burris and it was slightly more than that has had to be sent in for repair twice.

I don't know many friends that have had issues with Simmons scopes. Maybe one or two but not many and I'm not even sure that many have and I know a lot and I mean a lot of guys with them. Yet I only knew 3 people myself included that had Leupold VX-I's and all of us had problems.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
The VX-1 is a solid scope. I have one on my T/C Omega and it has worked great. You got a pretty decent deal on yours but I picked up mine for $85....could not pass it up. The thing about the VX-1 that a lot of people do not like(IMO) is the fact that if you pay the MSRP, then there are other scopes out there which offer more bang for your buck.

I knocked my Omega off the tool box of my truck the last week of the hunting season. It fell atleast 5 feet and the scope landed first on my concrete driveway. I was worried about the zero but after shooting it to check the POI, I found it had not changed. Only put a few scuffs on the scope itself.