Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do you reload and do you think it's worth it? >

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
I reload and it's worth it
74.14%
I reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I don't reload but would like to in the future
15.52%
I don't reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I used to reload but no longer do
0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Spike

A friend had a rifle that he could only get a 4 to 5 inch group out of it with factory ammo I started loading for him he now gets 1-1/2" groups w my standard load for 30-06 so it not always the shooters fault . If you think you need to buya Dillion press and all the high end gear to go with reloading you can sink a bunch of dollars in it you would best buy a single stage press and maybe used , geta decent scale , and get some other tools you need maybe used also gunshows and the internet can help find used and new tools and componets of course . I paid for my reloading gear in the first year just in reloading my 44 magnums and that was back when ammo was a bit cheaper and so were the cost of a lb of powder and a 100 bullets
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Whats wrong w/ saving money, or wanting to save money? Take just the brass alone, i can buy 1X fired brass on GB for a fraction of what new brass costs, and load it 5 more Xs at least! A bullet, a primer, and a charge of powder cost me about 40 cents, a 7mm08 factory loaded cartridge cost about 1.20. Im saving 80cents, not figuring in the equipment cost, which I figure ive already long paid for. Id hardley call that a "teaspoon".

Beside handloading is not my hobby, hunting is my hobby, handloading is just a small part of it.
Nothing wrong with saving money. The point is that "for me" that is not a priority nor the intent. If I do, fine. I handload because it gives be the best ammo for my guns using the selected components I want. Handloading is one of my many hobbies. Generally my hobbies only have to be "worth it" to me.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
bigcountry

I think its a horrible idea. It would just cause more people to reload and cause more primer shortage so I can't reload as much. Don't do it.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Having reloaded over 30,000 rounds for competitive pistols,
Getting deep in here boys. Honesty byrd, I would not want to see you reload. Some peopl have no business. And from your posts here, you do not.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'm thinking it isn't worth the risk to you rifle to shoot used brass unless you see the guy at the range actually fire it all and then put it back in the box. Brass has lots of life and I wonder if you're considering the risks of a case rupture.

Tom
Yeah ive considered that, but I think you can tell when a case has been cut several Xs, and when its once fired.Ive actually loaded cases as many as 10Xs and they still looked to be in useable condition. Fortunatly I havent had a problem yet.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having reloaded over 30,000 rounds for competitive pistols, I may have a bit of a clue. As for your 2" groups, don't know where your coming from with this one. Never had a rifle that wouldn't produce sub MOA with factory pills. But then again, I shoot better than most of the average joes and don't buy junk so go figure......

I'll even go on record and say that if you can't find a factory load that won't shoot sub MOA out of a 30-06, it's the rifle and shooter. Not the ammo.

........Oh. come on,now !!!! That's just plain horsepucky !!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Clearly you fellers don't know jack about IPSC, IDPA, and NRA Action pistol shooting. But that's OK, I'll let you step in it for awhile. Mess up with 38 Super and you'll get a face full of Bar-Sto. So yes, I know what the F I'm talking about.

RR- I'd say you might want to check the glass on your Carlos Hath**** specials there. I'm sure they looked a lot bigger from those yardages. Pretty bad when the rifle weighs more than the deer.

Love Always,

Va
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
bigcountry

Clearly you fellers don't know jack about IPSC, IDPA, and NRA Action pistol shooting. But that's OK, I'll let you step in it for awhile. Mess up with 38 Super and you'll get a face full of Bar-Sto. So yes, I know what the F I'm talking about.
I think you did more than step in it. YOu fell in it face first. Man, jig is up. Truth is obvious.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
.... you don't do what I do with factory ammo.
RR
Whats that? Take marginal shots at game? So at 1350 yards, you've got about a 13" margin of error assuming MOA. So then take into account wind, elevation and the shakey shakes....looks like pretty good chance for wounded game.

Big Cuntry- Nothing for you pal. As I stated before, you clearly know nothing about competitive shooting. I was on the LOW side. Some of the boys are floating around 1,000 rounds a week. Would you like me to do the math for you?

Gee whiz, when I was a little guy I used to cast/size/lube about 10,000 a week....and that was in addition to my own reloading, practice, and matches...but then again, I know nothing. Sooooo..

For the OP here is the deal:

UNLESS YOU SHOOT HIGH VOLUMES OR RARE CALIBERS, RELOADING ISN'T NECESSARY. HOWEVER, IF YOU NEED A HOBBY, GO FOR IT. FURTHER, THERE ARE PLENTY OF FACTORY RIFLES AND AMMUNITION CAPABLE OF MOA. MY OFF THE SHELF 30-06 TIKKA WITH TALLEY RINGS and BASES,NIKON MONARCH, AND FEDERAL 165 TSX DOES IT ALL DAY.....

But I don't know anything and have never shot a gun.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gee I woulda thought the handloaders in this thread would be more in agreement ,go figure. all I know is ,when I go to gander mt and see 30$ for standard deer ammo, and some guy asking a clerk "if theres anymore 280rem in the back", 1st thing I say to myself is, glad I handload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.