Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Correcting a scope bit shooter? >

Correcting a scope bit shooter?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Correcting a scope bit shooter?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

with kids, if ya give em a reason it happened...tell them why it happened and this is what we do to fix it...we put the butte of the gun to our shoulder and we pull back, so to say, the whole time..that way when the gun kicks there isnt an inch of padding.(.i. e. jackets and clothes and just not really holding it to his shoulder tight.) there to make it to his face..basically my 11 year old daughter is pulling the rifle back towards her the whole time..also encourages gun safety, i e holding on to the rifle tight..

just go tell him you did alot of research...sounds big to kids...and you found this out...that he dont have to worry bout it anymore if he just does ( whatever you want to tell him entered here)..dont go backwards...tell him how you remember your 1st..and how you laugh about it now..hehe

Originally Posted by VAriverman
My 10yr old son and I we're deer hunting earlier this season and he shot a deer with his 243 and a coyote just minutes after the deer. Unfortunately, when he shot the yote, he was not in a good shooting position and he got "scope" bit. He got a pretty nasty cut on his forehead and he cannot seem to forget about the incident.

Ever since that happend, he cannot get the nerve up to shoot the gun. We we're on a guided hunt this last weekend and the guide got my son within 50yds of a deer and he (my son) could not shoot the gun.

After we got back to camp, my son told me he was to nervous to pull the trigger and could not aim the gun without closing his eyes.

The guide suggested we step down to a 22-250 to avoid the recoil issue, but I've got reservations about making a clean kill with a light caliber gun.

My question is, will the 22-250 make a clean, humane kill or is it just to light? What grain size bullet works best?

Fortunately, I've got until next year to work with my son on the recoil issue, but I'm not sure if we work our way back up from 22's to the 243 or should I try and use the 22-250 next yr?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

lots of things to do....

muzzle brake on the .243...
add weight to the gun
mag na port

shoot with a less powerful gun at the range to build confidence....then hunt with the .243...

he'll get past it.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe some active style targets, like balloons that pop or cans the blow up. Make him focus on the target and not the gun, that is how I ignore recoil. The minute you start thinking of the recoil instead of the target is when you start flinching and not enjoying it!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

He's shooting a Ruger with a Mannlicher stock, so the barrel is shorter than most 243's. This may be one reason the gun "kicks" a little more than what he's used to. It's also hard to keep the gun still due to the short barrel.

Also, the reason he got "scope bit" was b/c he was in a bad position (my fault) when he took the shot, that I can fix.

Anyways, there's plenty I can work on. We'll start again with the .22's and work our way up with the 22-250 and then on to the .243 just b/f season next year.

I've got a Caldwell Lead Sled, so I may weight that down and let him start with that & see if I can get his confidence back.

All this means is just more time out with my kid shooting, not a bad thing....

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think a 22-250 kicks harder, jmo...i wouldnt down grade or use the lead sled, just tell him...if we hold the gun firm against us it wont do that anymore...not to mention its easier to aim any ways like that....and practices "holding a rifle properly" skills to kids. gl
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either the scope is too far back, or he's "creeping" up the stock when he's shooting. Make sure he's putting the rifle firmly into his shoulder, too. I've seen kids that are shooting too much gun for them try to mitigate recoil by holding the butt away from their shoulder, which actually exacerbates the problem. Many scopes, particularly the cheaper ones, can have rather short eye relief, especially on higher magnification settings. Better scopes have longer eye relief, and also tend to have less or no difference between the low and high mag settings. More eye relief give him more room between his eye and the eyepiece. Another problem can be that he's creeping up the stock, putting his eye closer to the scope than it should be.

As for fixing the problem, I'd just keep coaxing him into trying the rifle again. Any time you go to the range, take him with you, and always just happen to take the 243 too. Hopefully, eventually, with gentle encouragement and reassurance, he'll work up the courage to try again. Weatherby eyeliner happens to even old and experienced shooters. I guy I work with, who's in his late 50's and been hunting since he was a child, got bit by his ML this year. Split his eyebrow really good. He got his shooting at a big 10 pointer and in his excitement to get a shot, he got way too close to the scope and bam. He got the buck, but he looked like he'd lost a fight for a couple weeks, too. It happens.

Mike
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't state the Brand of Rifle your Son is shooting...? I can tell you right now if it is a Youth Gun with the shorter stock and barrel it is going to kick more than a regular size .243 Rifle.I'm not sure on the amount of energy/recoil on a 22-250 but I bet its as much or higher than the .243 Rifle?

I agree with letting him practice with a 22LR for a while and the better eye relief scope will help and the if the scope cover that was mentioned is what I'm thinking about is the short rubber like cover to protect the Shooter from getting hit between the eyes's then by all means put one on!

Sorry VARiverman...I didn't see there was a page #2 and posted my reply before I read all the other replies!

I would let him practice some with the LeadSled....it can't hurt and may give him some confidence back since there will be little to no recoil if he uses it.I guess the main thing is to let him work his way up slowly to being confident about shooting his Rifle!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.