Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Correcting a scope bit shooter? >

Correcting a scope bit shooter?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Correcting a scope bit shooter?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default Correcting a scope bit shooter?

My 10yr old son and I we're deer hunting earlier this season and he shot a deer with his 243 and a coyote just minutes after the deer. Unfortunately, when he shot the yote, he was not in a good shooting position and he got "scope" bit. He got a pretty nasty cut on his forehead and he cannot seem to forget about the incident.

Ever since that happend, he cannot get the nerve up to shoot the gun. We we're on a guided hunt this last weekend and the guide got my son within 50yds of a deer and he (my son) could not shoot the gun.

After we got back to camp, my son told me he was to nervous to pull the trigger and could not aim the gun without closing his eyes.

The guide suggested we step down to a 22-250 to avoid the recoil issue, but I've got reservations about making a clean kill with a light caliber gun.

My question is, will the 22-250 make a clean, humane kill or is it just to light? What grain size bullet works best?

Fortunately, I've got until next year to work with my son on the recoil issue, but I'm not sure if we work our way back up from 22's to the 243 or should I try and use the 22-250 next yr?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I know several people who hunt with the .223 which is less powerful than the 22-250. I do have some advice if you want it.

Pick your shot very carefully, if you bow hunt, treat the rifle shot like a bow, don't try to smash through the shoulder, the bullet probably won't be capable of that. Try and slip into the lungs and heart at a good angle.

Barnes makes some of their wonderful X bullets in .22 caliber and Nosler makes the Partition also. I would choose one of these two bullet myself. With the velocity of the 22-250 I think I would choose the X bullet if it were me.

Federal actually factory loads a 50 grain X bullet loading and a 60 grain partition load.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe something like this would help http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=407394
Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

While I discussed the 22-250, I didn't really address the problem at all. I would step him all the way back to a .22 rimfire. After a couple hundred rounds of that, I bet he will have all but forgotten the scope bite. It will be a good time to teach how not to get up on the scope again too, good shooting form with cheek on stock properly.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found when shooting a .243 the other week I also flinch and want to close my eyes. I've been hit in the face with scopes but that's not what I worry about. For some reason I just worry about the recoil hurting my shoulder as I've had plenty of sore shoulders. I for some reason have trouble even on a light recoiling gun like that shooting without wanting to close my eyes.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have him shoot a rifle with "just" iron sights for a while.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

If your in VA (judging by your name) you can forget about the 22-250 for deer. Try an extended eye relief scope or a scout mount set up. Other than that, its all technique.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

That must be one terribly light 243 with a terribly short eye relief scope!! I occasionally get bit by my 300WM because I topped it with a tactical scope intended for a 308 (3" eye relief but I think they lie!). But I barely think the 243 moves. Anyways....

If he's that terribly afraid of the gun there is not a whole lot you can do but let him outgrow it. Get him through a lot of rounds on the .22 then convince him to try it again. Use some handloads using light bullets loaded with starting charges -- screw accuracy, get him shooting the gun comfortably again then work your way back up. This MAY help.

And check that scope. There is no reason for his eye to be so close to a scope that a 243 bangs him up. Get him in a position where this won't happen and get him comfortable there before going back to field positions, and work with him on maintaining proper eye relief.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Spike

Actually, I've just moved back to Okla, I used to live in Northern VA where the deer we're as abundent as rat's in a dump. In OK, It's legal to use a 22-250.

I will probably start over (again) with a .22 shooting cans, targets, etc.. I'll just work up to the .243 after he's had a chance to get over the scope issue.

I do like the scope cover from Midway, that might help some.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Moving him to a 22-250 is a band-aid. Fix the problem. Getting a longer eye relief scope might help but I think some of what's been said would be a better solution.

Shoot a bunch of 22lr and some iron sights.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.