Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
X Bolt Micro Hunter 7mm-08 >

X Bolt Micro Hunter 7mm-08

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

X Bolt Micro Hunter 7mm-08

Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default X Bolt Micro Hunter 7mm-08

I'm looking at getting the browning micro hunter 7mm-08. I'd like a compact light weight gun to carry around when I go to certain stands, I normally hunt with the 7 mag and that thing is a little big at times.

Any opinions on the 7mm-08 micro hunter? Would this be too small for me? I'm going to check it out at the store tonight, but wanted some input before I go.

I'm also drawn to this rifle because it'd be small enough for my girlfriend to use, and my little nephew when he gets a little older.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice gun but I bet it will have a little recoil
Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

That's the gun I use for deer hunting and I like it a lot!. Compact, lightweight, and the recoil is not bad at all. Plenty of knock down punch for any deer out there.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a tread in this forum, 7-08 vs .308 that might give you some insight.
Like zrexpilot said a lighter gun is gonna give you a little more recoil.
The ballist on this round seem to be very good{at least on paper}Comparable to .270 & .308
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The micro may have too short of a LOP for you. It depends on your size / arm length etc. If so, get a slip on recoil pad to put on when you shoot and take off for the girlfriend (if necessary). The recoil in a 7mm08 is very reasonable even in a short, lightweight compact gun. My wife shoots both a 7mm-08 and a .308 in a Ruger compact without issue what-so-ever. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerry d
There's a tread in this forum, 7-08 vs .308 that might give you some insight.
Like zrexpilot said a lighter gun is gonna give you a little more recoil.
The ballist on this round seem to be very good{at least on paper}Comparable to .270 & .308

Just read that thread, a lot of great info in there- thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
The micro may have too short of a LOP for you. It depends on your size / arm length etc. If so, get a slip on recoil pad to put on when you shoot and take off for the girlfriend (if necessary). The recoil in a 7mm08 is very reasonable even in a short, lightweight compact gun. My wife shoots both a 7mm-08 and a .308 in a Ruger compact without issue what-so-ever. Good luck.

I think I will go with this gun, and if it feels short I'll try adding a recoil pad- I'm 5'11 so not a big guy- but about average.