Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in

Old 12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

Default Sighting in

A just put a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x50 scope on my A-bolt 7mag and it's been a long time since I've sighted one in from scratch. I've heard several comments on how a scope's (with a BDC type reticle, mine is just Nikoplex standard crosshairs) point of impact is affected by changing the power setting. At what power setting should I sight in to remain accurate through the entire power range? Does it even matter with standard crosshairs? Please help, I'm headed to the range tommorrow a.m. and then to the camp.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The scope's power setting should not appreciably affect the point of impact. That being said, I usually sight in at 4x, which is the power I usually have it set at while hunting.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I leave it on 4x,i had to zoom it up to 9x on a doe at 200 yards,thank u god 4 adjustable power scopes!(The doe is in my freezer)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on the person and what power setting they like. However, your scope should not change POI with the different power settings. If it does send it back and get it fixed.

I like to shoot at 9x when target shooting at 100 yards. I've got a few friends that also do. Then I've got others that like 5x or so at 100 yards. I'm starting to get more to where I like the lower powers also. However, it's hard to see the bullseye all that well to me and hold the crosshairs on it at 100 yards without zooming in at least some. I'd try out different power settings and see which you prefer. At shorter ranges I like 4-5x for sure.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

For my Leupold LRD reticle the manual says that the scope has to be on the highest power for it to work properly.
I haven't had time to play around with the bullet drop yet but i'm sure the manual is right. What does the manual for your scope say?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Highest magnification is best.

And if you have a "BDC" type reticle, after you are done at 100.................move to 200, 300, 400, too refine the zeroing process.

BTW - that's per the manual (just in case Relentless is around).
Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sight in at 25 yards, that'll put you about 3" high at 100 yards, and dead on at about 290 yards. Then move out to 100 yards to verify zero. I personally wouldn't have a scope that shifted POI when turning power ring. Your Monarch should be just fine. I'd crank it up for more resolution at 100 yards.

Who's this relentless yall speak of?