Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Savage

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Savage

I just purchased a Savage 11FXP3 .243 unfortunately it did not come with the heavy barrel *( was in Price range). What would need to be done to the stock to add a heavy barrel in the same caliber? If any........ This rifle will be for varmint and coyote.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your stock is anything like the FXP3 I had, your only remedy will be to replace the whole stock. My stock had entirely too much flex in it to open it up any more.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You say you bought the gun because it was in your price range? But then want to spend more money on a new barrel and stock work / new stock?

Why didn't you just buy want you wanted in the first place instead of costing your self an additional $300 - $500? You would be looking at $125+ for a new barrel, $100+ for a new stock, and what ever a gunsmith will charge to install and headspace the new barrel.

I suggest you shoot it first before you spend the money.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1

Changing barrels isn't the cheapest of propositions. I'd also recommend you see how well it shoots the way it is.

It's not a requirement that you have a heavy barrel for coyote and varmint hunting. I used a standard-contour for over 20 years before I thought I'd try out a heavy barrel. While it's great for prairie dogs, it stays home when I'm calling coyotes. It morphs into a pig when I'm post-holing through snowdrifts to a new setup.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot the rifle and do like it as far as price range yes it was in my price range and changing the barrel is something that would have been done down the road if I wanted to go to a heavy barrel. I was just wanting to see what my options might have been, cost effective. And from what it seems that just purchasing another rifle would be in my better interest.
Thanks