Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W

Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default S&W

I have been pricing revolvers and have a question to experienced revolver owners
Is the Smith & Wesson that much better than the rest ??? Boy, they are sure prices that way, don't get me wrong, I'll pay for quality, but they are really out there. Thanks Doc
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the S&W ain't as strong as a Ruger but it's a moot point because they'll more than last a lifetime. Where the S&W shines is they are more "refined" and smoother out of box on average as compared to Rugers. That's not to say that the Rugers can't be slicked up, they can-EASILY.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like Ruger or Colt for revolvers.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the S&W! You can get your money back if you ever need to. I have owned more than a few S&W revolvers over the years, with zero problems. I'm talking ZERO!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

S&W and Ruger are both quality handguns. One point that S&W has over Ruger is selection. They cost more because they are reliable even if not maintains as they should be. I own both Ruger and S&W and they are both quality pieces, but if you can't find a Ruger that meets all your requirement, S&W will.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
The S&W does not have as much steel as a Ruger, but it does not need it. The Rugers are built like tanks. I like Rugers.
Many of the major Ruger components are cast, while S+W are forged.

Don't overlook the Taurus, it's a good handgun especially if you're on a budget. Unless things have changed, it has a lifetime warranty that covers everything but the finish and the grips. I've had both S+W and Taurus, and both have served well.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

I like S&W they do hold their value better shoot well but the prices got a bit crazy . My nephew has a taurus 44 mag shoots well and i like the feel of it I carried a Taurus 44spl Titanium for awhile only weighed like 15 oz was well made 2' barrel was ported & barked rather loud
Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Iv'e been shooting S&W's for well over 40 years, Iv'e likely owned at least a dozen different models, along with a few Taurus's and Colt's. The Colts were pure precision and finish, but expensive, the Taurus's were reliable , but fit and finish didn't match the others and none of them shot as well as the Smith's. While living in southern California, [the desert was a two hours drive away] 90% of my shooting was at indoor ranges so if you shot a lot you tended to get good at it. The inherent accuracy of the Smith .357's and the model 29 shooting full house .44 mag loads is very good. What I'm saying is the Smith's are easy to shoot well. Spend the money and get the Smith, you won't regret it, 100% reliable and accurate, plus, they look good.........John